Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Moath
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
I have 2018 MBPro and considering upgrading to edit photos, mainly on LRc.

I want your opinions and recommendations on what to buy since there are multiple options. I’m looking for something that will last for years. What would you recommend to get? MBPro M2? Mac Studio? What specs should look for?

Looking forward to hearing from you

Solution
I have a 2022 M1 Max Mac Studio (the 32 core GPU version, with 32 GB RAM), and a Studio display - bought because I was intending to upgrade my old iMac 21" to an Apple Silicon 27" iMac, a model Apple decided not to produce. I use LRC, and can say that compared to my old i7 iMac this thing screams along. About the only thing that makes it pause for thought is focus stacking, but even that is much, much faster than my old machine. I used to be able to set a stack going, then go into the kitchen and make a cup of tea, search for a biscuit, stare out of the window, drink the tea and then still have to find something to do while it finished. Now I barely have time to put the kettle on.

I tend to run my Macs for 4-5 years, and I can't see...
This is very interesting! If I may ask, how's the fan performance? is it noisy when you use the LrC?
I just ran Denoise and it didn't speed up. I did have it cleaned a few months ago so it doesn't kick in often. Sometimes building 1:1 previews for larger imports.

I think I'm going to go with the Studio M2 Ultra, 128GB RAM, 4TB SSD

I suspect that would be overkill if you're only working with still images. The Ultra comes at a considerable price premium to the M2 Max, and would only be stretched by lots of video editing, or 3D modelling. The money you save would cover a good display!

Apple SSD prices tend to be high, so you could also save more money by getting 1TB internal, and buying more affordable external SSDs. I keep the current year's images on the internal SSD for speed, and previous year's files on external drives.

One advantage the Studio has over any iMac is loads of connections. I was able to get rid of a USB hub and plug everything into the Studio. I find the SD card slot on the front really useful too...

I suspect that would be overkill if you're only working with still images. The Ultra comes at a considerable price premium to the M2 Max, and would only be stretched by lots of video editing, or 3D modelling. The money you save would cover a good display!

Apple SSD prices tend to be high, so you could also save more money by getting 1TB internal, and buying more affordable external SSDs. I keep the current year's images on the internal SSD for speed, and previous year's files on external drives.

One advantage the Studio has over any iMac is loads of connections. I was able to get rid of a USB hub and plug everything into the Studio. I find the SD card slot on the front really useful too...

Thanks for the tip. I agree with you on the SSD memory since I also need to consider the display (which is not cheap by any means :D).
That was very helpful! I'm grateful for your tips and recommendations!

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back