What do you store and travel your equipment in?

Greg

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Greg Sinclair
City/State
Telford
I have invested a lot in my new gear, just like everyone else.

Using your camera is the main purpose for owning it. What happens to all that expensive gear when not in use?

I bought my gear to use on holiday , that will entail a flight. Do you put your gear in the suitcase and hope to protect it amongst your clothing? Do you trust the airport not to lose it? or do you keep it with you as hand baggage? What do use use?

I did considerable research before deciding on my choice. I decided I need a soft bag/case while the camera is carried around a holiday sight seeing, and a hard case as storage and hand luggage. Anyone that has looked for a bag or a case knows it is a minefield filled with choice, quality, conflicting reviews and prices.

Not going into the soft option here, just too many variables and ways personal to you how you use it. The hard case/hand luggage/storage is easier. I don't have a lot of equipment, yet. The hard case I bought is just the right size to go in an over heat plane locker. This case is water proof and strong enough to sit or stand on.

What do you use?

I always keep my gear with me. Too much invested. This is the backpack I use right now, I do have a few smaller ones when needed.

Backpack

I can cram a ton of stuff in to my camera backpack. But that's just the basics (cameras, lenses, etc.. ) I've got roller bags for lights, hard cases for other things. I've also got one of those portable stackable toolboxes with location audio gear and misc supples which has actually worked out pretty well on some recent short film sets.

I don't have some of the same amounts of gear that some do, just a couple of bodies and 3-4 lens's, and a laptop or tablet. I store the gear in a ThinkTank Airport Commuter. It's always ready to grab and go. It fits in overheads so it is always with me. Softcase but very sturdy. It's been from China to Poland. On some of those trips that are work related (manufacturing, not photo work) I limit the camera gear to 1 body and it is shared with a CPAP machine and work computer.

I do not think there is a "one solution fits all". Over the years I have acquired different cases and such to carry and transport my gear. I depend on two hard cases, the Pelican 1510 and the Nanuck 935. They seem to provide the necessary capacity and compactness for air travel. They are, as of today, designed for overhead carry-on in airliners. I have backpacks for hiking and different sizes for different types of shoots. Looking to go messenger bag for light carry. Much like cameras and lenses, the materials and features of cases are constantly changing so who ultimately knows what they will acquire? Much is determined by need and budget but also if you have a wife, business partner, or some other means of a reality check. ;):cool:

I store my equipment in an ALICE army backpack and a Hello Kitty bookbag. I travel my equipment in a Kia Sportage and do not travel by airplane.

I store my equipment (cameras and lenses) in a Ruggard electric dry cabinet I got from BHPhoto. Not really necessary in my area, but it is a convenient and safe way to keep everything organized. For travel, I have a couple different bags/packs from Peak Design.

My gear goes carry on if I fly. If extra protection is needed I have a carry on sized Pelican type hard case as well.

A Ruggard cabinet is serious stuff. not thought of that before

I’ve got all of my stuff packed into a Thinktank Airport accelerator bag. Which is what I use to take stuff when I travel.

Apart from my 200mm lens, which has its own case.

And I have a Lowepro rucksack, for when I go out shooting.

I keep my gear packed in multiple Lowepro and Tamrac bags, my main bags for carrying away from home are a Lowepro Slingshot 302 or a Tamrac Velocity 7z, depending how much gear I need to bring. I also have a Lowepro Protactic II 450 which I intend to use on any major trip since it will hold most of my gear, including a spare body and my Surface Pro. I don't fly when going on vacation, so I don't consider use on aircraft when choosing gear storage.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back