Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Greg Sinclair
City/State
Telford
There is nothing special in this picture.
IMG_0474 (2).JPG
  • Canon EOS M100
  • EF35-80mm f/4-5.6 USM
  • 35.0 mm
  • ƒ/4
  • 1/80 sec
  • ISO 100

I have adjusted the colour and brightness and cloned a few small patches.

I do like to capture scenes that gives the appearance of something much larger. It looks like an idyllic scene in the countryside, that's not completely true, this little patch is about 8 foot wide. I am standing in the road. On the other side of the fence is a huge car park to Hartpury University in Glostershire. if you look carefully you might make out a give away sign.

Its not a significant image IMO. What do you think? Any merit at all?

Last edited:
Hi Greg! I like the wildness and the chaos of the scene, and I adore small scenes. The color and the way you've bounded it with the fence is great as well. The only thing is, for me, there is nothing for my eye to light upon and want to study, nothing stands out and says "look at me! I'm the subject here". It's a pretty little scene but not an "attention grabber", imo.

Correct.

Not a glimmer to concentrate on. Well, there is, its so hidden it cannot be classed as a point of interest, just an anomaly. I will see if I can find a wild flower to paste into the scene. I hate doctoring a picture by introducing an element that is not original to the scene, its like lying.

What it does do for me, is the open gate invites you in, and the fence line pushes you towards the centre. Pity there is nothing there when you arrive :).

Correct.

Not a glimmer to concentrate on. Well, there is, its so hidden it cannot be classed as a point of interest, just an anomaly. I will see if I can find a wild flower to paste into the scene. I hate doctoring a picture by introducing an element that is not original to the scene, its like lying.

What it does do for me, is the open gate invites you in, and the fence line pushes you towards the centre. Pity there is nothing there when you arrive :).
I do really like that gate and the fence. Maybe take a weed wacker in there to "sculpt" landscape :LOL: It is very inviting

:ROFLMAO:

There is nothing special in this picture. View attachment 3242
I have adjusted the colour and brightness and cloned a few small patches.

I do like to capture scenes that gives the appearance of something much larger. It looks like an idyllic scene in the countryside, that's not completely true, this little patch is about 8 foot wide. I am standing in the road. On the other side of the fence is a huge car park to Hartpury University in Glostershire. if you look carefully you might make out a give away sign.

Its not a significant image IMO. What do you think? Any merit at all?
I think all of our shots have merit. This shows to me that something we drive by and take for granted has its own intrinsic beauty. You saw something and have been able to remind us that when we look, we must see. I think what appears to be a gate on the left gives the scene good credibility and you’ve captured with good depth the feeling of a little patch of rural in our hectic world. Cool.

I think all of our shots have merit. This shows to me that something we drive by and take for granted has its own intrinsic beauty. You saw something and have been able to remind us that when we look, we must see. I think what appears to be a gate on the left gives the scene good credibility and you’ve captured with good depth the feeling of a little patch of rural in our hectic world. Cool.
I agree. And thanks for your comments

With careful composition and a little help with post work it is possible to make something out of nothing. At the time of taking the picture I had plenty of time to compose and positioning the gate was part of it. Even so, I overlooked the car head light showing through the gate and overlooked it in post work. In general I don't spend much time composing and no post work, my work is mostly instant but with past experience I know to keep almost all the usual faults out

I love the shot and hadn't notice the car headlight until you mentioned it. I also agree with you regarding composition and post processing. I've been "dabbling" in photography for more years than I care to discuss, and still haven't gotten composition down. I suppose you need an artist's eye. I've also never used PhotoShop and only make the simple post adjustments I would have done in a wet darkroom (LightRoom or DxO PL).

I don't have PS. I use editing tools; GIMP, DPP, Darklight, and the thing windows 10 has built-in. You could say they are all basic editors, compared to PS, but then I'm not interested in swapping the sky ,or turning the street lights on in a fake night shot. That sort of manipulation is not photography, you could call it art, in fact with PS you don't need a camera you just assemble a scene from bits in the package or add-ons.

Getting back to composition. There is a "rule of thirds", and there are experts that say, ignore it. For me it's making a picture look balanced. The variables are infinite and I'm not mentally aware of what makes it correct enough to explain why, and I'm not confident enough to say my composition is correct and someone else's is not.

I took over 1000 pictures the past 2 weeks on holiday sailing down the Nile. They are mostly documentary, about half were taken on my Canon M6 Mk2. Not got around to putting any on the computer yet, hope to get some to display here. Imo, the best ones are night shots, daylight is so bright the contrast is difficult to get well exposed pictures.

I agree. And thanks for your comments

With careful composition and a little help with post work it is possible to make something out of nothing. At the time of taking the picture I had plenty of time to compose and positioning the gate was part of it. Even so, I overlooked the car head light showing through the gate and overlooked it in post work. In general I don't spend much time composing and no post work, my work is mostly instant but with past experience I know to keep almost all the usual faults out
Funny…I didn’t see the car until you mentioned it.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back