What Photography Related Item Have You Bought or Sold This Week?

After years shooting with mirrorless cameras (first Sony and now Canon) I got a DSLR, but not just a DSLR but a more than 10 years old DSLR that does not include Face or Eye Detection: The Canon EOS 5D Mark III.

Why?

Price on DSLR has gone down and a camera that once was sold for more than $3400 you can get it for a little more than $400. In another hand, I have used DSLR in the past so I'm not afraid to go back to use a camera without all the new AI technologies which while they make our life easier sometimes have been proven to have a mind of it's own and do things out of our control, specially AF.

I have to said that I'm enjoying this camera.

The quality of the images coming out of this 14 years old camera is super! AF simple put works. And the low light performance is spectacular.

Last edited:
Woohoo! Just ordered a RF 85MM f1. 2 from the used Borrow Lenses sale! Stole it for $1600! Winnnning!

After years shooting with mirrorless cameras (first Sony and now Canon) I got a DSLR, but not just a DSLR but a more than 10 years old DSLR that does not include Face or Eye Detection: The Canon EOS 5D Mark III.

Why?

Price on DSLR has gone down and a camera that once was sold for more than $3400 you can get it for a little more than $400. In another hand, I have used DSLR in the past so I'm not afraid to go back to use a camera without all the new AI technologies which while they make our life easier sometimes have been proven to have a mind of it's own and do things out of our control, specially AF.

I have to said that I'm enjoying this camera.

The quality of the images coming out of this 14 years old camera is super! AF simple put works. And the low light performance is spectacular.
When I bought my R5 my intention was to sell my DSLRs and, eventually, replace them with - perhaps - another R5, or maybe an R6 or, if I could wait long enough, an R5 Mk II. However, I still have my 5D Mk III. It's been all over the world with me, been my main camera on hundreds of live gigs and it's still so good at what it does! I know that I can pick it up at any time and use it without having to think about which button does what - muscle memory is a wonderful thing! On the other hand, I'm still not fully up to speed with my R5, but that's going to come with practice. In the meantime, I'm going to continue using both old and new technology together.

As an avid birder, I have never been satisfied with relying on my camera alone as a substitute for binoculars. I like to find and identify the birds before further "pursuing" (or not) with the camera. I have not found a good combination of straps/harnesses etc. to aid in carrying both the camera and the binos. One always seems to foul the other at the worst time, or slip off my shoulder etc...until now!
For my upcoming birthday, my wife purchased me the Cotton Carrier GS3 Harness with an extra side holster. This allows me to carry both the camera with attached telephoto (I have R7 with RF 100-400) lens and my 9x45 binos securely, while still keeping my hands free where necessary (climbing logs, fences etc. Got the whole thing put together and fitted last night and it appears to be quite promising.

As an avid birder, I have never been satisfied with relying on my camera alone as a substitute for binoculars. I like to find and identify the birds before further "pursuing" (or not) with the camera. I have not found a good combination of straps/harnesses etc. to aid in carrying both the camera and the binos. One always seems to foul the other at the worst time, or slip off my shoulder etc...until now!
For my upcoming birthday, my wife purchased me the Cotton Carrier GS3 Harness with an extra side holster. This allows me to carry both the camera with attached telephoto (I have R7 with RF 100-400) lens and my 9x45 binos securely, while still keeping my hands free where necessary (climbing logs, fences etc. Got the whole thing put together and fitted last night and it appears to be quite promising.
Happy Birthday!

Just ordered a RF 24-240 .... get a good price as in the trade .... so tempted by other stuff but resisted. Waiting for the R5 ii to surface ...

Just bought my wife the rf100-500. and hopefully selling the Tamron 150 - 600 G2

Only thing left on my 'want' list is the R1 if it ever gets here - so even if I give up motorsport I will have my ultimate setup to see me through retirement.

I have a Sky-Watcher AZ-GTi arriving today. I purchased it mainly to help me track the sun for the solar eclipse on Monday. If I can find clear enough skies, I plan to set my intervalometer and shoot the entire eclipse from first to fourth contact. I'll be doing that with the R6 & RF100-500mm and Thousand Oaks Optical solar filter attached. I also purchased a second solar filter for my R7 & wide angle lens which I plan to use for a landscape series of the eclipse. I'm not sure yet if I want to use my RF24-105 or RF14-35 for the wide angle series. I think that'll depend on exactly where I end up and what the landscape looks like. In addition to the tracker & solar filter, I also purchased 2 magnetic filter mounts to minimize camera movement when I remove the filters during totality.

I know what you're thinking.... "you don't have your spot chosen yet?" No, I haven't! :oops: I'm in southern Wisconsin and will be traveling to wherever totality has the least chance of clouds. The weather keeps changing, so I don't know if I'll be heading south or east for it. That will be what I refer to as a "game time decision", but I've got areas picked out going both directions.

st-e3 flash trigger, not used it yet, but will this weekend hopefully

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back