Followers
Following
Name
Peter Blacket
City/State
Australia
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
Use manual Use AV use TV depending on many factors.

Cant get my head around situations to use FV.

Hope someone can help yup im a beginner

edit Any R camera actually not just r6 question.

Funny you should ask this because last evening I FINALLY got my head wrapped around this mode and who it's best for. I'll attempt to explain.

To me, it's like a hybrid of M, Av, and Tv modes. Referring to the R6 (because that's what I use), you turn the Quick Contol Dial 2 (top thumb dial) to switch between shutter speed (Tv), aperture (Av), ISO, and exposure compensation and then change each setting with the Main Dial (top index-finger dial). I guess the main advantage of changing these in Fv mode as opposed to M (manual) mode is the ability to set each one to AUTO at the press of the trash can button (hold it to set all 4 to AUTO). In M mode, the only setting you can change to AUTO is the ISO, but you very annoyingly can't do it at the push of a button like in Fv mode.

I guess another main benefit of Fv mode is not having to turn the mode dial to M, Av, or Tv modes. You can stay right where you are.

I like M mode best because I can change Tv, Av, and ISO with 3 separate dials, not having to first switch to one of those settings before being able to change it as you have to in Fv mode. However, being able to quickly change any setting to AUTO at the push of the trash can button makes Fv mode much more compelling to look into. I might use it more since I get incredibly annoyed at how you can't reset ISO to AUTO in any other mode without having to spin the dial all the way to AUTO!

I guess I've only tried to explain how it works and how it differs from M mode. As to the best situations to use it for, I'll leave that for somebody else who's actually used Fv mode extensively!

It's actually very simple.
Suppose you want to shoot at a specific shutter speed and a specific aperture (to get the right depth of field) in changing lighting conditions.
You go to Fv, set the shutter and aperture to be what you want and let the camera adjust ISO manually.

Basically it lets you preset any 2 of the 3 parameters and keep the 3rd one on auto.

It's actually very simple.
Suppose you want to shoot at a specific shutter speed and a specific aperture (to get the right depth of field) in changing lighting conditions.
You go to Fv, set the shutter and aperture to be what you want and let the camera adjust ISO manually.

Basically it lets you preset any 2 of the 3 parameters and keep the 3rd one on auto.
I know I didn't ask the original question, but this helps me a lot. I've always done this in M mode, i.e. auto ISO, but obviously in Fv mode it's a lot quicker to set ISO to AUTO than in M mode and without needing to lift your eye from the viewfinder. However, it's a lot quicker in M mode to change shutter speed and aperture. I guess one just has to find the right mode for their needs.

I know I didn't ask the original question, but this helps me a lot. I've always done this in M mode, i.e. auto ISO, but obviously in Fv mode it's a lot quicker to set ISO to AUTO than in M mode and without needing to lift your eye from the viewfinder. However, it's a lot quicker in M mode to change shutter speed and aperture. I guess one just has to find the right mode for their needs.

Ah, you're right, you can set AUTO in M mode.
What makes Fv different from M, is that you can also set the exposure compensation to go along with your settings.

So let's say you're shooting birds against bright sky. You can set shutter to 1/2000, aperture to f8, leave ISO on AUTO and add +2 steps of exposure compensation so that your bird is not blacked out by the bright sky metering.

thanks all will have a go over weekend.

still learning 1 notch above beginner. storms forecast this weekend a chasing i shall go basically i use M with severe weather/lightning shots.

i struggle with below shots just cant quite seem to nail perfect focus but tis a difficult target/focus point sometimes close sometimes further away.

if i use FV in this situation wouldnt help much.

and edit i did read the manual regarding FV

but us old guys have to read things a few times to compute

lia foals.jpg
  • Canon EOS R6
  • RF24-70mm F2.8 L IS USM
  • 62.0 mm
  • ƒ/2.8
  • 8 sec
  • ISO 160

Ah, you're right, you can set AUTO in M mode.
What makes Fv different from M, is that you can also set the exposure compensation to go along with your settings.
Actually you can set exposure compensation in M as well when you have ISO set to Auto.

I don't use Fv and have been meaning to play with it, but my Canon guy said that the power of Fv is that it allows you to effectively switch between the three modes (M, Av, Tv) without changing modes, varying which of the three settings the camera chooses for you. So you can go from M in auto ISO to Av where you want to shoot wide open at ISO 100 and the camera will set the shutter speed, all without touching the mode dial. Again, there may be more to it than that, but that's the explanation I got.

So by way of feedback on Fv mode, I took a walk today in the Alberta Badlands to try to capture some of the amazing frost and used Fv mode exclusively for the first time. I must say that I love the ability to instantly reset ISO to auto at the press of a button, but that's about it. If I was able to do that in M mode then I'd stick with that as it's the mode I've used for years as it's much quicker to change shutter speed and aperture. But the inability to instantly reset ISO to auto any other way on the R6 has forced me to to use a mode like Fv that I'm not exactly enamored with otherwise. But you gotta do what you gotta do sometimes. There's certainly no perfect camera, but the R6 is pretty close!

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back