Chris Summers

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Chris Summers
I have a vast collection of slides and negatives, lots of my stuff from my film days but also my dad's collection and my grandfather's as well. During the pandemic when I was spending a lot more time at home I decided to start digitizing all of this stuff. I found an old Bessler enlarger someone was giving away and I got it and removed the lamp housing/negaive carrier section and mounted a tripod head and my Canon R fitted with a 100mm macro lens and an extension tube. It makes a really good copy stand that can easily move the camera up or down as needed. I use an old slide sorting light box as my light source and found online some carriers designed for holding cut film strips and one for mounted slides. My grandfather's negatives taken in China were harder to digitize as they were really odd size film from old cameras he owned. Grandpa went to China to work in the Chinese Postal Service in 1902, it was run by the British. He was there until 1932 when he went back to England as Japan was advancing into Manchuria. My grandfather was a pretty good amatuer photographer who loved "street photography" of everyday things. I think he mainly used Kodak film cameras and due to his employment was often transferred to different parts of China. He took pictures all over China, even near Tibet.

Overall the process is pretty straight forward. I use the camera's auto exposure and then do a 2 shot bracket of 1/2 down and 1/2 stop up to try to ensure I get a good exposure. I use Lightroom and a plugin called Negative Lab Pro that helps convert the negative to a good quality positive image. Sometimes I go into Photoshop for additional editing. The last shot was colorized using one of the Neural Filters in Photoshop.

I do own some older Epson film scanners but find using my Canon R to be faster and better quality.

Attachments

• China postal worker-Edit-1.jpg
    China postal worker-Edit-1.jpg
    570.7 KB · Views: 47
  • China road scene-gigapixel-standard-scale-2_00x.jpg
    China road scene-gigapixel-standard-scale-2_00x.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 51
  • Chinese soldiers.jpg
    Chinese soldiers.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 41
  • gorge on Yangtze river 6.jpg
    gorge on Yangtze river 6.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 47
  • Junk on Yangtze river 002.jpg
    Junk on Yangtze river 002.jpg
    482.7 KB · Views: 55
  • Shaw Picnic 1.jpg
    Shaw Picnic 1.jpg
    319.6 KB · Views: 44
  • Cangue.jpg
    Cangue.jpg
    469.2 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
I’ve been doing the same, using a Nikon ES-2 slide/film kit. That works great for 35mm but have been struggling to find an easy way to do all the other formats in my parents and grandparents negative collection. Great idea using an old enlarger and I’ll keep my eye out for one. Thanks.

I'm not sure what has impressed me the most - your ingenious solution for digitizing old negatives, or your grandfather's collection of images. The historical content in those negatives is absolutely intriguing. Thanks for sharing.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back