EdCannady

Newcomer
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Ed Cannady
I currently have an r5 which I love, but sold my 5d Mark IV which was my backup camera. I plan to buy a mirrorless backup and I'm deciding between the r6 Mark ii and another r5. I shoot wildlife and landscapes. Any insights would be welcome.

I'd go with the R6II. Sometimes I prefer a lower megapixel camera for web work. I actually prefer it for landscape, sports and urban walk around shooting. I had the R5 and sold it for the R6II and R7.

The R3 is a fine camera so I don't want to say it was not a good purchase. I wish I could afford one.

As a hobbyist, I went with the R8 as the backup body, since I wanted something small and already had a bunch of spare LP-E17 batteries. For my use cases, opportunistic birding and family pictures, the AF on the R8 had more keepers than the R5.
So I think the R6II would be a good backup camera for your R5, if you don't mind the drop in megapixels and smaller buffer.
As others have said, the R7 is nice for wildlife, but the slower sensor makes the AF miss things the R5 would hit, so have a few practice sessions before going on the proper trip!

As a hobbyist, I went with the R8 as the backup body, since I wanted something small and already had a bunch of spare LP-E17 batteries. For my use cases, opportunistic birding and family pictures, the AF on the R8 had more keepers than the R5.
So I think the R6II would be a good backup camera for your R5, if you don't mind the drop in megapixels and smaller buffer.
As others have said, the R7 is nice for wildlife, but the slower sensor makes the AF miss things the R5 would hit, so have a few practice sessions before going on the proper trip!
For the OP. The R8 was not out when I got my R6II otherwise I would have looked at it. It has only 1 QC dial and the R6II has 2 QC dials. Similar to the R7 but Canon placed on the top, not the back on the R8. Like the R7 the back control is called the Quick Control/Set Button. All II use it for is to turn eye detect on and off but there are buttons to map if someone wants to. I do have to say I like the position of the QC dial on the R7 which is mapped for EC. Reaching it feels more natural. R8 may feel the same. For the R6II I use the Set Button in the middle of the QC1 dial for eye detect on and off.

The R7 is missing the QC2 dial. I had to map Aperture to the the lens ring which I don't really like but I shoot wide open with that body most of the time. With the R6II - Main dial = SS, QC2 = Aperture and QC1 = EC. R7 - Main dial = SS, Aperture = lens ring and QC = EC.

One thing my R6II has that I wish the R7 had is the ability to map "subject to detect" to a button. I mapped the MF-n for that and it's the cats meow. Again mostly birding with the R7 so again not too bad. I use that often with the R6II. I'm not sure if the R8 offers that.

You didn't say what type of wildlife. For fur in the Badlands I was shooting a pair of R7s, with 100-400 + 1.4xTC on one, and 70-200 on the other.
I recently put the 70-200 on a R5 for better low light shots.
Yes, it's a PITA when the two bodies don't match. I like the R7's better layout and more options, myself, and should the R7ii be a major improvement I'll probably switch to a pair of them.
Since you're already used to the R5, I would just get a second one, unless you could use the extra reach built into the R7.
I took a hard look at the new Pany G9ii. I was shooting a pair of G9s before coming back to Canon. The fact that the G9ii shares the same body as the S5ii sounds interesting, full frame in one body, M43 in the other. But not much choice for wildlife lenses.

I have heard that as well, but I just don't know why I would need that many megapixels. I'm happy with the resolution on the original r5. Plus I want a second before I head to Yellowstone in early May. But thanks for your feedback!
Have you considered renting a camera body for Yellowstone? The R5 II rumors suggest that it will also be a 45MP sensor with other improvements. I have an R5 and I'm strongly leaning towards buying the R5 II and keeping my R5 my 2nd body.

Have you considered renting a camera body for Yellowstone? The R5 II rumors suggest that it will also be a 45MP sensor with other improvements. I have an R5 and I'm strongly leaning towards buying the R5 II and keeping my R5 my 2nd body.
I have been hearing the r5 mk ii would be a 60 mp sensor. Maybe I should be patient until the r5 upgrade is released but patience is not one of my virtues.... I can most likely get by just fine in Yellowstone with my current r5, but I definitely want a second before I leave for Alaska and the Yukon in June.

Benefits of getting another R5?
Easier to turn the camera on rather than accidently changing stills/movie mode.

Canon-EOS-R6-Mark-II-vs-Canon-EOS-R5-top-view-size-comparison.jpg

The only thing I miss about my R5 is the ability to change C1-3 modes with a button. You need to use the dial for both R6II and R7.

So it may have been better to title my post as a second camera rather than a backup. And I can afford a second camera so it is not a great hardship.
I have the R6 II. Fantastic camera, but if money isn’t an issue I don’t see any reason not to get another R5. If you want a different flavor, grab an R8 as a second Canon and a Pentax K-1 Mark 2 with their FA* 15-30 2.8. I don’t own one, but from the Pentax circle I’m in (Pentax K-50 is my other system, their pro level * lenses are nice and everything they make is built like a BSH.) that combo is a phenomenal landscape/Astro set up.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back