EdCannady

Newcomer
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Ed Cannady
I currently have an r5 which I love, but sold my 5d Mark IV which was my backup camera. I plan to buy a mirrorless backup and I'm deciding between the r6 Mark ii and another r5. I shoot wildlife and landscapes. Any insights would be welcome.

Just for some fun and relaxation. How about a back-up battery grip, or a back-up camera bag? Last but not least a back-up photographer, just in case we fall out right in the middle of a once in a lifetime photo op. Of course that one back up photographer should be equipped with all the back-ups we have for ourselves. Enjoy life "as is". Never over think it. :)

Benefits of getting another R5?
Easier to turn the camera on rather than accidently changing stills/movie mode.

Canon-EOS-R6-Mark-II-vs-Canon-EOS-R5-top-view-size-comparison.jpg

Gotcha. IMHO for a second camera you can't go wrong with another R5. :) Same camera, no need to learn differences, just go out and shoot with all the convenience you can get with identical cams. Agree, its always easier and quicker to change cameras than to change lenses. :)

Rumor has it that the new R5 MK2 will hit the market pretty soon. Should you not be in a hurry two of them should make you more than happy, right? :)
I have heard that as well, but I just don't know why I would need that many megapixels. I'm happy with the resolution on the original r5. Plus I want a second before I head to Yellowstone in early May. But thanks for your feedback!

LOL, good point about backups never getting used.

I don't really have a backup but have two bodies - R5 for people and general photography, and R7 for birds and bugs. They both get used. They also serve as backups for each other when I go on trips.

Funny how we want backup bodies but not so much backup lenses. What if my 100-500mm L lens had stopped working during my birding trip to Costa Rica? A 100-400 could have served as a backup but I don't have one.

I bought an R8 to accompany my R5 ... I wanted light and small but with the internals of the R6 ii ... I know what is missing and it did not bother me.

The R5 will prob get upgraded to the Mk ii in due course but the R8 will stay as for value for money it is hard to beat. Light carry and I take the R8, detailed and want all I can use ... the R5 gets taken.

I am not a pro so a 'proper' backup is not needed but, when I was married to a pro and we shot stuff for money she just had two similar/same - well, 1Ds ii and a 1 D ii, 2 x 5D ii's then 2 x 5D iii's ....

I ended up going with an R6 Mark II for my second camera rather than a second R5. I do a lot of long backpack trips, six to ten days and the lighter weight and longer battery life of the R6 makes it kind of perfect for that. So in reality it will be my preferred camera for backpacking while the R5 will continue to be my first choice otherwise. I also like to have a wildlife lens on one and a landscape lens on the other when I'm driving. The R6 will not sit idly in my camera bag.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back