EdCannady

Newcomer
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Ed Cannady
I currently have an r5 which I love, but sold my 5d Mark IV which was my backup camera. I plan to buy a mirrorless backup and I'm deciding between the r6 Mark ii and another r5. I shoot wildlife and landscapes. Any insights would be welcome.

Hard to recommend any camera coz it should be you to decide and it should be you to know the need of having a back up. Nonetheless, just out of curiosity, any special reason you need a backup for wildlife and landscapes? Do you have some previous bad experience with having only one single camera? Hope to learn something as being a guy who has no backup. Thanks in advance. :)

Hard to recommend any camera coz it should be you to decide and it should be you to know the need of having a back up. Nonetheless, just out of curiosity, any special reason you need a backup for wildlife and landscapes? Do you have some previous bad experience with having only one single camera? Hope to learn something as being a guy who has no backup. Thanks in advance. :)
If i was lucky enough to have an R5 I would probably go for an R7 or wait till there is an improved crop sensor Canon mirrorless. It's just because it gives you something different, albeit mainly reach. Otherwise consider R6 ii or R8 if on a tighter budget as it has most of the main features of the R6ii but is cut down on some, obviously for the price. But sensor and AF are the same.

I have always had good luck with Canon cameras, but I travel a lot in remote places where a camera failure would be catastrophic, so I like to have a backup. Because of my climbing and search and rescue background I believe in redundancy when possible. I also like the luxury of having a wildlife lens on one camera and a landscape lens on the other eliminating the need to change lenses every time a different opportunity presents itself. So it may have been better to title my post as a second camera rather than a backup. And I can afford a second camera so it is not a great hardship.

Gotcha. IMHO for a second camera you can't go wrong with another R5. :) Same camera, no need to learn differences, just go out and shoot with all the convenience you can get with identical cams. Agree, its always easier and quicker to change cameras than to change lenses. :)

Gotcha. IMHO for a second camera you can't go wrong with another R5. :) Same camera, no need to learn differences, just go out and shoot with all the convenience you can get with identical cams. Agree, its always easier and quicker to change cameras than to change lenses. :)
That has been my thinking but since the r6 ii is a newer camera I wondered if there were upgrades that made it a better option. I don't like the different cards though. Like I said, I like redundancy.

That has been my thinking but since the r6 ii is a newer camera I wondered if there were upgrades that made it a better option. I don't like the different cards though. Like I said, I like redundancy.
Rumor has it that the new R5 MK2 will hit the market pretty soon. Should you not be in a hurry two of them should make you more than happy, right? :)

Rumor has it that the new R5 MK2 will hit the market pretty soon. Should you not be in a hurry two of them should make you more than happy, right? :)
I have heard that as well, but I just don't know why I would need that many megapixels. I'm happy with the resolution on the original r5. Plus I want a second before I head to Yellowstone in early May. But thanks for your feedback!

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back