Canon R5 Why would you NOT update your Firmware?

Dean Wilson

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Dean Wilson
City/State
Canby, Oregon
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
I must a bit slow on the thinking today, but I don't understand Why R5 owners are choosing NOT to update their firmware?
Sure you may not be interested in IBIS High Resolution shoot, but why not download it for the bug fixes...besides, when Firmware 1.9.x comes out it will contain new features AND IBIS High Resolution shoot.

Of course this goes for all your gear not just R5 and 1.8.1
At the end of the day you can't pick and choose which features to download: It's either All or None.

Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy!

I rarely update firmware immediately, even Canon can get it wrong as has happened, granted that they normally respond quickly to bugs in the upgrade but I would rather give it a few weeks before upgrading and monitor canon sites for any instances of problems

I only just downloaded the recent update for my R6, but I have to agree with YangMills; if my camera is doing what I want it to already, I'm never in a huge rush to update it. That being said, I'm very excited to play around with the new vehicles AF! I've never been into cars, so this will hopefully be a way to bridge the gap to my family and friends who are 😂

So, I keep coming back to this “update or or not to update firmware?”. Belonging to many Facebook groups (too many) there’s a lot of questions related to camera problems or camera/lens problems. My first question to those asking, “Is your firmware (camera and lens) up-to-date”? If not then sorry, cannot help. After all, I’m pretty sure Canon’s firmware updates include more than a single feature update (i.e. AF improvements). I’m thinking there are other minor tweaks (with these firmware updates) that will improve overall camera/lens performance.

So, I keep coming back to this “update or or not to update firmware?”. Belonging to many Facebook groups (too many) there’s a lot of questions related to camera problems or camera/lens problems. My first question to those asking, “Is your firmware (camera and lens) up-to-date”? If not then sorry, cannot help. After all, I’m pretty sure Canon’s firmware updates include more than a single feature update (i.e. AF improvements). I’m thinking there are other minor tweaks (with these firmware updates) that will improve overall camera/lens performance.
Plus, as a veteran attendee of LAN parties could tell you: it's invaluable for fault-finding to make sure that everyone is on the exact same patch. It makes sense that when trying to fiddle with the nuts and bolts buried in the menu that you'd want to ensure as many common elements as possible, to better identify things that are dissimilar.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back