Martin-123

Newcomer
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Martin McCann
Hi, I haven't yet bought my R5 and I'd like to know if the Canon wi-fi function does the thing I really want from it...
I'll have powerful wi-fi from a roof-mounted aerial on my vehicle so I'll be within wi-fi range for some of my shooting. Also in the vehicle, connected to the wi-fi, will be my MAC. Will the wi-fi connection allow photos to be transferred to the MAC automatically as I take the shots...? ... to a pre selected folder...? Many thanks.

I can tell you that it worked great from R5 to my iPhone, but haven’t tried R5 to MacBook Pro (yet). Shouldn’t be a problem and must try sooner than later. Hopefully others will jump in on this topic.

I can tell you that it worked great from R5 to my iPhone, but haven’t tried R5 to MacBook Pro (yet). Shouldn’t be a problem and must try sooner than later. Hopefully others will jump in on this topic.
Thank you Bear. Did you use one of the Canon apps to do that on your iPhone?
... leads me to another question, if you don't mind...
Are the Canon apps available for all Apple devices including Desktop MACs...? TIA.

... looks like I've answered my own question here...

"IMAGE.CANON​

Enjoy seamless transfer of images and movies to your devices and web services, plus free cloud storage, automatically from your Canon camera1."

However...

"Compatible cameras must be connected to the internet via Wi-Fi."

What I want to be able to do is automatically transfer from the camera to a drive of my choice on the same wi-fi network, even when NOT connected to the internet.

So that would seem to be a big "No".

Last edited:
Thank you Bear. Did you use one of the Canon apps to do that on your iPhone?
... leads me to another question, if you don't mind...
Are the Canon apps available for all Apple devices including Desktop MACs...? TIA.

... looks like I've answered my own question here...

"IMAGE.CANON​

Enjoy seamless transfer of images and movies to your devices and web services, plus free cloud storage, automatically from your Canon camera1."

However...

"Compatible cameras must be connected to the internet via Wi-Fi."

What I want to be able to do is automatically transfer from the camera to a drive of my choice on the same wi-fi network, even when NOT connected to the internet.

So that would seem to be a big "No".
Glad to hear you figured it out yourself since I couldn’t remember (too long ago for my attempt). Sad to hear that it’s not going to work for your situation. Maybe one day technology will catch up. Keep enjoying your R5👍

If you do decide to use Wi-Fi be aware that it drains your battery as auto power off does not function. Same with Bluetooth.

If you do decide to use Wi-Fi be aware that it drains your battery as auto power off does not function. Same with Bluetooth.
Thanks Dean. I might run a couple of tests. Leave wi-fi or bluetooth connected to see which one drains the battery faster. I'll post the results.

Also you should know that the transfer speed is fairly low even with good wifi. Sometimes at studio I hook up wifi to the adjacent PC so the support crew can monitor "real time" the pics I'm taking. If I use RAW or even L-JPEG it takes too long time per picture and it's lagging behind the shoot.

In those cases I set dual-recording, RAW for main card and S-JPEG on second card, and select to send only the S-JPEG to computer. That way it's almost real time. Any bigger file size it starts to get too slow.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back