Followers
Following
Name
Hali
City/State
Rhode Island, US
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
I have loved my RF 24-240 as a general all around lens. It has been great to take hiking and when I can't carry more than one lens with me. I used it extensively about a month ago and then tucked it away in it's bin waiting for another outing. That outing came a few days ago.
I put it on my RP (Full spectrum conversion) and had a 590 nm drop in filter over the sensor. I downloaded the images and noticed a strange pixel smearing all along the edges of the images. At first I thought it was the camera and the conversion but then I tried different lenses on the camera and they were fine. Then I tried the 24-240 on the R5 and still had the problem.
Called Canon, they had "never heard of anything like this" so I've sent it in for repair and I'll have to send them the raw images from both cameras when I get a repair order number from them. Has anyone seen anything like this before? One is a 100% crop of the lower border of an image,
Smear on R5 with 24_240 entire image 2 copy.jpg
Smear on R5 with 24_240 lower border copy.jpg

This doesn't look like IR so I'm assuming this image is from the R5 or with the filter removed? That looks less like a lens problem and more like an image processing problem, either during write to the card or when processing the raw file. Just curious, did you try turning lens profile correction on and off in Lightroom to see if it changes?

This doesn't look like IR so I'm assuming this image is from the R5 or with the filter removed? That looks less like a lens problem and more like an image processing problem, either during write to the card or when processing the raw file. Just curious, did you try turning lens profile correction on and off in Lightroom to see if it changes?
It is with the R5. I did turn off the profile correction and no changes. My first thought after seeing it on both cameras was that it was a processing problem but, If it is an image processing problem why would it have shown up suddenly? I have used the lens for a year without an issue

It is with the R5. I did turn off the profile correction and no changes. My first thought after seeing it on both cameras was that it was a processing problem but, If it is an image processing problem why would it have shown up suddenly? I have used the lens for a year without an issue
I'm not saying it makes sense, just trying to figure it out. Just curious, is it on the JPEG preview of the image in-camera as well? Does it happen if you shoot JPEG instead of Raw? Again, just guessing/debugging here.

I'm not saying it makes sense, just trying to figure it out. Just curious, is it on the JPEG preview of the image in-camera as well? Does it happen if you shoot JPEG instead of Raw? Again, just guessing/debugging here.
I don't see it when I look at the preview on screen from the card itself. Unfortunately I sent the lens to Canon, but now that you brought this up I do think its a lightroom/photoshop issue with the lens.

I looked at the image with DPP from Canon and with Fast Raw Viewer (which is a super fast easy way to look at raw images, I"m just waiting for them to support the R5) and I don't see a problem. Now I have to wait until it gets to Canon and then have them ship it back to me.

Thank you for getting me to look in a different direction, Jake.

I don't see it when I look at the preview on screen from the card itself. Unfortunately I sent the lens to Canon, but now that you brought this up I do think its a lightroom/photoshop issue with the lens.

I looked at the image with DPP from Canon and with Fast Raw Viewer (which is a super fast easy way to look at raw images, I"m just waiting for them to support the R5) and I don't see a problem. Now I have to wait until it gets to Canon and then have them ship it back to me.

Thank you for getting me to look in a different direction, Jake.
No problem - I'm a problem solver by nature so I like sussing this stuff out.

I know you don't have the lens but I'm wondering if what you're seeing is only in the preview generated by Lightroom. Have you tried opening it in Photoshop to see if it translates into the rendering there? If so then Lightroom has an issue. If not then it's just in the preview generation and doesn't impact the image itself. If you're only using Lightroom then it's really problematic in processing.

The other thing you might want to try is generating a JPEG from Lightroom to see if it's in the JPEG rendering, which again says that the Lightroom issue is just in the preview renderings.

And you can try and just open the Raw file directly in Photoshop to see if Camera Raw show it as well. Good news is that regardless it's Lightroom with the problem and not the lens. I have a copy and I'll try and shoot some stuff today to see if I can recreate it.

I was somewhat shocked to see this happen to images I took this AM (see uploaded image). I use ACR to process my raw images and checked to see if it was using the proper lens profile. Much to my surprise a new profile was somehow installed with the tag v2 along with the old one. Changing the profile back to the original fixed the image. I got even better results turning off the profile completely, letting the in body correction take care of it Images are of some of the 2,977 Pepperdine University 9/11 Memorial Flages with each representing a victim.

Attachments

• 3L1A9587_ACR v2 profile.jpg
    3L1A9587_ACR v2 profile.jpg
    811.5 KB · Views: 74
  • 3L1A9587_no ACR profile.jpg
    3L1A9587_no ACR profile.jpg
    822.1 KB · Views: 68
No problem - I'm a problem solver by nature so I like sussing this stuff out.

I know you don't have the lens but I'm wondering if what you're seeing is only in the preview generated by Lightroom. Have you tried opening it in Photoshop to see if it translates into the rendering there? If so then Lightroom has an issue. If not then it's just in the preview generation and doesn't impact the image itself. If you're only using Lightroom then it's really problematic in processing.

The other thing you might want to try is generating a JPEG from Lightroom to see if it's in the JPEG rendering, which again says that the Lightroom issue is just in the preview renderings.

And you can try and just open the Raw file directly in Photoshop to see if Camera Raw show it as well. Good news is that regardless it's Lightroom with the problem and not the lens. I have a copy and I'll try and shoot some stuff today to see if I can recreate it.
It did render the same in photoshop as in lightroom. That was the first thing I tried after I saw it in lightroom. With the profile correction on, as of that day, it shows up in photoshop when exported from lightroom.

View Latest Canon RF Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back