Followers
Following
Name
Hali
City/State
Rhode Island, US
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
I have loved my RF 24-240 as a general all around lens. It has been great to take hiking and when I can't carry more than one lens with me. I used it extensively about a month ago and then tucked it away in it's bin waiting for another outing. That outing came a few days ago.
I put it on my RP (Full spectrum conversion) and had a 590 nm drop in filter over the sensor. I downloaded the images and noticed a strange pixel smearing all along the edges of the images. At first I thought it was the camera and the conversion but then I tried different lenses on the camera and they were fine. Then I tried the 24-240 on the R5 and still had the problem.
Called Canon, they had "never heard of anything like this" so I've sent it in for repair and I'll have to send them the raw images from both cameras when I get a repair order number from them. Has anyone seen anything like this before? One is a 100% crop of the lower border of an image,
Smear on R5 with 24_240 entire image 2 copy.jpg
Smear on R5 with 24_240 lower border copy.jpg

I was somewhat shocked to see this happen to images I took this AM (see uploaded image). I use ACR to process my raw images and checked to see if it was using the proper lens profile. Much to my surprise a new profile was somehow installed with the tag v2 along with the old one. Changing the profile back to the original fixed the image. I got even better results turning off the profile completely, letting the in body correction take care of it Images are of some of the 2,977 Pepperdine University 9/11 Memorial Flages with each representing a victim.
So it definitely is the profile. I will go and delete that V2 profile tonight. Interestingly enough I just got an email from Canon, they got the lens and are "repairing it" free of cost. It seems they think the focus is not quite right. That scares me, since I found the focus to be just fine. Oh well, hopefully it will be in as good shape when I get it back!

That is a very powerful image, Hutch.

Interesting, I only have the one profile, but I've only had the lens for about a month and perhaps the profile was changed in the last release? That said, if 'V2' is the new one then I would expect mine would be the same as yours, so I'm not sure how yours got added. I'd reach out to Adobe to see how that got added.

I generally use ACR rather than LR to process my RAW images. Decided to check the lens profiles installed in Lightroom and found that both are there. Was surprised to find that the problem did not occur the same way it does in Adobe Camera RAW. Instead its a slightly tigher crop with the original version vs v2.

Posted the problem on Adobe Forums. Apparently it's a well known problem with v2. I was advised to just use the original version for the time being.

So strange that I don't have a v2 on mine, but I'm up to date on all software. I'll try opening with ACR and see if I'm just getting the tight Lr crop you mention. If so, I wonder how I'd get the old profiles since I don't have a v2?

So strange that I don't have a v2 on mine, but I'm up to date on all software. I'll try opening with ACR and see if I'm just getting the tight Lr crop you mention. If so, I wonder how I'd get the old profiles since I don't have a v2?
I suspect Adobe may have stopped sending v2 when the problem was discovered. Unless your images are exhibiting the problem I wouldn't worry about it.

I suspect Adobe may have stopped sending v2 when the problem was discovered. Unless your images are exhibiting the problem I wouldn't worry about it.
I'm not "concerned", but the "slightly tighter crop" translates to me that the profile is potentially removing something I'm seeing in the JPEG, and that's at least something I need to consider when shooting with it.

I'm not "concerned", but the "slightly tighter crop" translates to me that the profile is potentially removing something I'm seeing in the JPEG, and that's at least something I need to consider when shooting with it.
Yes, If you turn off the ACR Lens Correction you will see there is a definite crop with the original version. Turning it off and doing your own correction if necessary seems to be one alternative.

So odd. My tests earlier this week showed nothing, but then I took some shots yesterday and as I watched them import into Lightroom and the previews start getting built I saw each and every one shrink a little and the "edge stretch" appear. I happened to shoot both raw and jpeg and it appears that what's happening is literally a stretching of the edge pixels and not the loss of anything, so cropping in isn't losing anything but the garbage Adobe is adding. Now I'm frustrated that I don't have the older profiles.

I have loved my RF 24-240 as a general all around lens. It has been great to take hiking and when I can't carry more than one lens with me. I used it extensively about a month ago and then tucked it away in it's bin waiting for another outing. That outing came a few days ago.
I put it on my RP (Full spectrum conversion) and had a 590 nm drop in filter over the sensor. I downloaded the images and noticed a strange pixel smearing all along the edges of the images. At first I thought it was the camera and the conversion but then I tried different lenses on the camera and they were fine. Then I tried the 24-240 on the R5 and still had the problem.
Called Canon, they had "never heard of anything like this" so I've sent it in for repair and I'll have to send them the raw images from both cameras when I get a repair order number from them. Has anyone seen anything like this before? One is a 100% crop of the lower border of an image,View attachment 5608View attachment 5609
I had the same exact thing with R6, it seems to be from double distortion correction in Camera and in LR. if turn off LR distortion correction, you will not see it!

View Latest Canon RF Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back