Anyone having issues with the RF 85mm 2.0 lens?

View Latest Canon RF Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

sarahbearpatch

Newcomer
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Unspoken Images Photography
City/State
Sharon, MA
Hi,

I'm new & I used the search tool to see if anything was posted about this. I've been getting an error 60. This is the 3rd time I've sent it back to Canon (I literally picked it back up last Sunday & last night I got the same error). It only happens with my 85mm. The camera shop, who I've been going to for years, & Canon say you can't point the 85mm lens straight down. They say it's a problem with this lens even though it's a "micro" lens. I have my camera examined & updated twice a year (Canon has a weekend they sponsor at the store & offer camera updating etc.). I just was wondering if anyone else had this issue. I have sent it back (again) hoping Canon will replace what needs to be replaced. I have the warranty. But it's frustrating.

Hi,

I'm new & I used the search tool to see if anything was posted about this. I've been getting an error 60. This is the 3rd time I've sent it back to Canon (I literally picked it back up last Sunday & last night I got the same error). It only happens with my 85mm. The camera shop, who I've been going to for years, & Canon say you can't point the 85mm lens straight down. They say it's a problem with this lens even though it's a "micro" lens. I have my camera examined & updated twice a year (Canon has a weekend they sponsor at the store & offer camera updating etc.). I just was wondering if anyone else had this issue. I have sent it back (again) hoping Canon will replace what needs to be replaced. I have the warranty. But it's frustrating.
I just mounted my RF 85mm f/2 to my R5 and walked around the house pointing the camera (and lens) straight down and it focused every time without throwing an error. I focused from standing all the way down to minimum focus distance and it worked as expected. I would take what your store and Canon said with a huge spoon of skepticism.

Did Canon or the store provide any indication of what error 60 means? Maybe try cleaning the contacts on the lens and try again?

I just mounted my RF 85mm f/2 to my R5 and walked around the house pointing the camera (and lens) straight down and it focused every time without throwing an error. I focused from standing all the way down to minimum focus distance and it worked as expected. I would take what your store and Canon said with a huge spoon of skepticism.

Did Canon or the store provide any indication of what error 60 means? Maybe try cleaning the contacts on the lens and try again?
Hi Tony,

Thank you for going around & trying to get the error. I've had both the camera store & Canon look at it. Canon, the company, said its a flaw with the lens but don't replace it even though I have their warranty. It's kinda strange if you ask me. Anyway, the camera store sent it back Sunday to Canon & we'll see what happens next. 🤷‍♀️

Elsewhere on this site, I shared my experiences with Canon. They kept denying the problem until my retailer offered to replace them, two R7 kits. I am really surprised that Canon is ignoring the defects they produce. I have been a Canon user since 1971, owned many Canon bodies and lenses, been a member of Canon Professional Services for many years, and I have not experienced or heard of so many quality control and customer service problems.

View Latest Canon RF Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back