Back Button extended functions

Oh yeah, that is exactly what register/recall is all about! Hold a button, get a whole different camera. In fact, this thread is a real reminder for me to set my two cameras up the same way, or as close as possible. For me, R/R would be for a failsafe way to get a relatively static shot no matter how the camera is configured. It might be largely automatic. I ran into an issue with that last fall where my shutter and aperture (with Auto ISO) forced an overexposure with the R/R settings I had. I wasn't used to shooting in bright straight-on sunlight and I thought my settings were pretty forgiving. Not!

Now, what would be cool would be if we had the option to modify R/R settings on the fly, sort of like changes to a C mode can be retained. I just verified that this does not work. :(. And you cannot register a C mode, either. But you can set the camera up the way you want and then register that.
On the R7 I can select C mode and then go into R/R make my settings and then register the C again. It then has you R/R settings.

When I wrote the article and posted it, the intent was to bring awareness to the feature and the options within it. I feel that a lot of users including myself are unaware of these features and potential power it can provide. I wish I knew about it last year when I was shooting a Motor Cross event. One moment there is a bike and rider flying through the air that requires a fast shutter speed. A moment later I want to do a pan shot that requires a slow shutter speed. This could have been achieved with the use of the two back buttons. Initial search results on Google were mainly about shifting focus from the Shutter to the AF ON button.

Yes, I focused on the two buttons on the back of the camera which is where the term Back Button most likely came from.
You did a good job and yes there are people unaware.

Oh yeah, that is exactly what register/recall is all about! Hold a button, get a whole different camera. In fact, this thread is a real reminder for me to set my two cameras up the same way, or as close as possible. For me, R/R would be for a failsafe way to get a relatively static shot no matter how the camera is configured. It might be largely automatic. I ran into an issue with that last fall where my shutter and aperture (with Auto ISO) forced an overexposure with the R/R settings I had. I wasn't used to shooting in bright straight-on sunlight and I thought my settings were pretty forgiving. Not!

Now, what would be cool would be if we had the option to modify R/R settings on the fly, sort of like changes to a C mode can be retained. I just verified that this does not work. :(. And you cannot register a C mode, either. But you can set the camera up the way you want and then register that.
By the way, that is what I was referring to, when I said "you cannot override the overrides".

On the R7 I can select C mode and then go into R/R make my settings and then register the C again. It then has you R/R settings.
What I was referring to is that when you register the settings you can specify P, Av, M, or Tv mode (on the R3, not on the R7) but you cannot specify one of the C modes. The distinction being that you can easily alter a C mode and then could recall it with R/R (but you can't). As it is, you have to go into the menu to alter what is registered.

But yes, you can probably do a hybrid process by modifying a C mode and then basically uploading that to your R/R. It's a little more work than just recalling a current C mode, but easier than building it all in the Customize buttons function. It makes a lot of sense, really, to have those preferred alternate settings in a C mode. I might try that, just to see if it actually works or if Canon missed something in the programming.

I suppose it sort of makes sense that you can't recall a C mode. It's called a mode, and you select it like a mode, but it's not really a mode like M or Av. It's a complete configuration (including, I think, most of the menu settings).

What I was referring to is that when you register the settings you can specify P, Av, M, or Tv mode (on the R3, not on the R7) but you cannot specify one of the C modes. The distinction being that you can easily alter a C mode and then could recall it with R/R (but you can't). As it is, you have to go into the menu to alter what is registered.

But yes, you can probably do a hybrid process by modifying a C mode and then basically uploading that to your R/R. It's a little more work than just recalling a current C mode, but easier than building it all in the Customize buttons function. It makes a lot of sense, really, to have those preferred alternate settings in a C mode. I might try that, just to see if it actually works or if Canon missed something in the programming.

I suppose it sort of makes sense that you can't recall a C mode. It's called a mode, and you select it like a mode, but it's not really a mode like M or Av. It's a complete configuration (including, I think, most of the menu settings).
I've never seen a way to do that. If you start with M mode then C1-3 are in M.

A little off topic. I can map a button to change subject to detect on my R6II. Very handy at a location where you are flipping between people and animals or planes, etc. I sure wish my R7 had that option. I added that to the green menus. I might be able to do something different but I try to keep both cameras as consistent as a I can when it comes to mapping buttons.

When I'm going to set up C mode I start by setting the camera to manual mode. I would set the camera to a general photograph setting, such as 1/100, f8, Auto ISO and a matrix focus area. Once that is done I would then select C1 and register those settings there. Now I would change to the C1 mode and then go in and set the back buttons as I want them, both the AF ON and the Asterisk button using Metering and AFStart or Register/recall . Both of these could have different settings. I do not use the register option that is available in the Register/recall menu. I would back out of the Back Button setting menus and then go to the menu where I can register C1 again. This would then retain all the settings that I've done within C1. This now gives you three shooting options, Shutter button only, AF ON and Astrick.

When I'm going to set up C mode I start by setting the camera to manual mode. I would set the camera to a general photograph setting, such as 1/100, f8, Auto ISO and a matrix focus area. Once that is done I would then select C1 and register those settings there. Now I would change to the C1 mode and then go in and set the back buttons as I want them, both the AF ON and the Asterisk button using Metering and AFStart or Register/recall . Both of these could have different settings. I do not use the register option that is available in the Register/recall menu. I would back out of the Back Button setting menus and then go to the menu where I can register C1 again. This would then retain all the settings that I've done within C1. This now gives you three shooting options, Shutter button only, AF ON and Astrick.
Me to. M and C1-3 are in M but each mode has tweaks for the scene I'll be shooting. All my buttons are mapped the same way between those modes. I don't want to think very much when I'm in the field. I do that in my condo. As simple as possible for a simple person. :)

I have little experience with C modes, but what Frank describes above is how I understand them to work. I think the only missing bit for this particular discussion is that once you have a properly configured C mode and are in it, you can probably save the relevant settings in R/R by going into Detail set and selecting "Use current settings" or whatever it's called. I haven't tried it, but it seems like it should work. You might still have to enable them all, I don't know.
A little off topic. I can map a button to change subject to detect on my R6II. Very handy at a location where you are flipping between people and animals or planes, etc. I sure wish my R7 had that option. I added that to the green menus. I might be able to do something different but I try to keep both cameras as consistent as a I can when it comes to mapping buttons.
I think I have read before about how that was a missed feature on the R7. I don't know of a way to get to it, but you can specify the subject to detect in the "Metering and AF start" and "Register/recall shooting func" items. Probably also the "Switch to registered AF func" but I haven't messed with that yet. Of course each of these eats up an additional button, which are in short supply.

I just tried the C mode thing and it worked. I set up C3 as Tv mode with a bunch of settings I'd never use and then went to customize the R/R function. When I selected "Register current settings" all of the settings from the C mode that I was in appeared, along with a confirmation to accept them. Basically it works exactly as one would expect it to.

So, you can develop the special settings to your heart's content in a C mode and upload a copy of that at any time to the R/R customization. As long as you stay on top of it, your button shortcut will put you in that C mode (at least, within the limits of those specific settings) at any moment.

If you want more of that C mode than R/R will store, you can (on the R3 and a few others, but not the R7) put Mode on the M-Fn button and quickly cycle through the modes that way. You can't add Mode to the Dial functions, you have to replace Dial functions with Mode.

EDIT: Link for that last bit: https://www.the-digital-picture.com...ncluding-Immediate-Access-to-30-fps-on-the-R3

Last edited:

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back