Birds Back button focus? I don't understand the full benefit.

That sound like it could be a good setup for me to test out. If it's not to much trouble, could you let me know your settings? Is there anything tricky that you need to know to set those up? I think I remember a video about not being able to set AF=eye detect and *=spot, I think the YouTuber had to set it up in the reverse order (I could be mistaken).
Here is an off topic question: do you shoot in Manual, and if so do you use Auto ISO most of the time? I don't, but when things are moving quick I don't have the experience to change exposure settings fast enough.

Thanks much!
If you want to try my way. Go to purple Menu 1. Choose single point for AF method, subject to detect animals and disable continuous AF ( to save battery power. Then proceed as I directed above to Orange menu. Choose half metering and start AF for the shutter button, then for AF-on choose eye detection AF.
I use manual settings for aperture,S/s and ISO.

Interesting setup, thanks for the description. Could you tell me your settings? Do you have Zone set to the shutter button and BB set for eye detect? I use eye detect on the shutter button 90% of the time. I find that it works good with birds in flight except with a busy back ground. Do you think the Zone works better?
No no.... The shutter button does no AF at all. Only metering start and shutter activation. All focusing is done with the Back Button.
AF on = Animal eye focus
Asterisk = Spot focus
AE button = zone focus.

The whole purpose of Back button focus is to take the focus activation OFF the shutter button.
Watch these two videos.

Interesting setup, thanks for the description. Could you tell me your settings? Do you have Zone set to the shutter button and BB set for eye detect? I use eye detect on the shutter button 90% of the time. I find that it works good with birds in flight except with a busy back ground. Do you think the Zone works better?
The opposite - front for zone, bb for eye detect. Just works better for me head-wise. Zone is much better to grab a bird in the sky. I used to use the control wheel to change from eye detect to zone quickly but then heard of this and now use the control wheel to select what I want for the front button which varies between single point, expanded single and zone

The opposite - front for zone, bb for eye detect. Just works better for me head-wise. Zone is much better to grab a bird in the sky. I used to use the control wheel to change from eye detect to zone quickly but then heard of this and now use the control wheel to select what I want for the front button which varies between single point, expanded single and zone
Another interpretation of my set up , must admit I don't use the control ring at all.Maybe I need to take another look at it.

The first video she's using a 1D and things have changed! Again it's about personal preference. I find the back buttons a bit fiddly finding the right one so Have mine all set to the same function..eye detect. Whereas with the DSLR's I have always owned there was no eye detect, now I use the centre single AF point to hit the subject then use the eye detect to keep on the subject as I recompose the shot or simple try to keep the subject in the frame if it's moving. No need to turn the AF off at all most of the time.
No no.... The shutter button does no AF at all. Only metering start and shutter activation. All focusing is done with the Back Button.
AF on = Animal eye focus
Asterisk = Spot focus
AE button = zone focus.

The whole purpose of Back button focus is to take the focus activation OFF the shutter button.
Watch these two videos.

Until I bought the R5 I could see no benefit to me in BB focus but now I'm a convert. I have the shutter button on spot focus, the rear button on eye detect. I find this to be ideal for me as I don't have to move my thumb to another assigned button. Once I have identifies my target using the half pressed shutter button I let the back button do the tracking as I take the shots. aperture, shutter speed and ISO are all on the dials and shutter speed it the one I use the most to adjust exposure on the fly as my 100-500 plus 1.4 TC doesn't give much room for manoeuvre on aperture. The R5 produces excellent IQ so I'm often on ISO 3200 now.

Dave, can you please post a iphone photo of your Customize Buttons panel so I can see which is the icon that should be next to the AF-ON in order to Focus the subject with that Back Button?
Until I bought the R5 I could see no benefit to me in BB focus but now I'm a convert. I have the shutter button on spot focus, the rear button on eye detect. I find this to be ideal for me as I don't have to move my thumb to another assigned button. Once I have identifies my target using the half pressed shutter button I let the back button do the tracking as I take the shots. aperture, shutter speed and ISO are all on the dials and shutter speed it the one I use the most to adjust exposure on the fly as my 100-500 plus 1.4 TC doesn't give much room for manoeuvre on aperture. The R5 produces excellent IQ so I'm often on ISO 3200 now.

button?

Attachments

• 41CC9CB9-5A05-4520-9773-D20C6AAC1498.jpeg
    41CC9CB9-5A05-4520-9773-D20C6AAC1498.jpeg
    361.6 KB · Views: 50
The shutter button does not focus in this case. It only meters. This is set in the customize buttons menu. When using BBF the shutter button only meters and fires the shutter. does not activate the AF system.
So WHICH IS THE ICON THAT SHOULD BE NEXT TO THE AF-ON button, in order to activate fht AF system and use the BACK BUTTON FOCUS?

I think it's this one, EyeDetect.
And he had his * set to "register/recall shooting function" I believe.

eyedetect.jpg

For birds in general, including birds-in-flight, I have been usiing the guidance in the video below for some time. It works well for me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFZ0J27zSI4
The basic idea is to use 3 back buttons, each operated with the thumb for different focus functions. The shutter button is set to "Metering Start" (only) in "Customize Buttons".

The 3 back buttons as labeled in the R5 menu are:
- AF-On
- AE Lock (*)
- AF Point Button

I have set these in "Customize Buttons" for the following functionality:
- AF-On: Spot AF
- AE Lock: Eye Detect AF
- AF Point Button: Zone AF
My order for these works better for me and is slightly different than that suggested in the video.

Useage comments:

1) If a stationary bird is too distant for Eye Detect AF, then I will generally use Spot AF.
2) I find that the Zone AF button generally works well for BIF, and sometimes better than either Spot AF or Eye Detect AF on birds partially burried in brush.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back