Birds Back button focus? I don't understand the full benefit.

RichMan

Newcomer
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Richard Manley
Hello all! I'm new here, and I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right spot. Please forgive me if I'm in the wrong place. However, this question is specifically in relation to bird photography.

The Canon R5 is my first "real" camera with continuous auto focus, and haven't yet seen the benefit of back button focus. I can see how it was important with continuous spot auto focus, where you would press the BBF to focus and then recompose the image, but with animal eye AF you can focus and recompose at the same time. I'm not saying it doesn't have benefits, I'm saying as a newbie starting out on an R5 I don't understand the benefits. I'm hoping someone can provide some insight to help me out.

I just learned a couple of days ago that you can have two focus buttons, one for eye AF and a different one for spot AF. I can see the benefits in that, but I haven't tried it yet. I mean "see the bird, shoot the bird" is one thing, but "see the bird, check exposure, make sure shutter speed is good, get focus, shoot the bird" is many times overwhelming. I'm hesitant in adding another button into the mix. :)

Anyway, any input or personal experience is appreciated. Thanks!

Until I bought the R5 I could see no benefit to me in BB focus but now I'm a convert. I have the shutter button on spot focus, the rear button on eye detect. I find this to be ideal for me as I don't have to move my thumb to another assigned button. Once I have identifies my target using the half pressed shutter button I let the back button do the tracking as I take the shots. aperture, shutter speed and ISO are all on the dials and shutter speed it the one I use the most to adjust exposure on the fly as my 100-500 plus 1.4 TC doesn't give much room for manoeuvre on aperture. The R5 produces excellent IQ so I'm often on ISO 3200 now.

When I shot Nikon I used BBF all the time. With the R5 the ability to choose an alternate focus method between front and rear buttons is a game changer for me as a wildlife photographer. Eye detect is great when you need it, but crap for birds in flight. Now I can set my focus mode for a zone focus to grab something in the sky and hit the back button for a stationary target. Makes for a powerful arrangement.

Just shows what suits one person might not anther. The R5 has so many potential combinations to choose but with a moving subject I want to use all the available AF points to track it across all the screen as keeping it in the zone is often beyond me.

BBF is good for birds. Say, you are tracking an eagle (with shutter button half pressed) and the eagle flies behind a tree and comes out the other side. Every time you press the shutter, the camera will refocus. The camera will focus on the tree and have to refocus when the bird emerges. Hit and miss. With BBF, as it approaches the tree, release the AF button, and the camera retains the focus distance and when the bird comes out the other side is still in focus (and you can hit the BB again,) Meanwhile you can fire off 4 or 5 shots without focus changing.

I have my R5 set up for Triple BBF. AF button= Animal eye focus, Asterisk button= single point spot focus. AE button= zone focus.

Until I bought the R5 I could see no benefit to me in BB focus but now I'm a convert. I have the shutter button on spot focus, the rear button on eye detect. I find this to be ideal for me as I don't have to move my thumb to another assigned button. Once I have identifies my target using the half pressed shutter button I let the back button do the tracking as I take the shots. aperture, shutter speed and ISO are all on the dials and shutter speed it the one I use the most to adjust exposure on the fly as my 100-500 plus 1.4 TC doesn't give much room for manoeuvre on aperture. The R5 produces excellent IQ so I'm often on ISO 3200 now.
Thanks. Question: when you have the back button pressed for eye detection and then press the shutter button to take the pic, now having both focus buttons pressed, which focus type does the camera use?

Thanks. Question: when you have the back button pressed for eye detection and then press the shutter button to take the pic, now having both focus buttons pressed, which focus type does the camera use?
The shutter button does not focus in this case. It only meters. This is set in the customize buttons menu. When using BBF the shutter button only meters and fires the shutter. does not activate the AF system.

When I shot Nikon I used BBF all the time. With the R5 the ability to choose an alternate focus method between front and rear buttons is a game changer for me as a wildlife photographer. Eye detect is great when you need it, but crap for birds in flight. Now I can set my focus mode for a zone focus to grab something in the sky and hit the back button for a stationary target. Makes for a powerful arrangement.
Interesting setup, thanks for the description. Could you tell me your settings? Do you have Zone set to the shutter button and BB set for eye detect? I use eye detect on the shutter button 90% of the time. I find that it works good with birds in flight except with a busy back ground. Do you think the Zone works better?

The back button overrides the shutter button, take your thumb off and it reverts to the single point that you have set up to. You need orange menu 3, customise buttons. Not everyone is aware that you can do this!

BBF is good for birds. Say, you are tracking an eagle (with shutter button half pressed) and the eagle flies behind a tree and comes out the other side. Every time you press the shutter, the camera will refocus. The camera will focus on the tree and have to refocus when the bird emerges. Hit and miss. With BBF, as it approaches the tree, release the AF button, and the camera retains the focus distance and when the bird comes out the other side is still in focus (and you can hit the BB again,) Meanwhile you can fire off 4 or 5 shots without focus changing.

I have my R5 set up for Triple BBF. AF button= Animal eye focus, Asterisk button= single point spot focus. AE button= zone focus.
That sound like it could be a good setup for me to test out. If it's not to much trouble, could you let me know your settings? Is there anything tricky that you need to know to set those up? I think I remember a video about not being able to set AF=eye detect and *=spot, I think the YouTuber had to set it up in the reverse order (I could be mistaken).
Here is an off topic question: do you shoot in Manual, and if so do you use Auto ISO most of the time? I don't, but when things are moving quick I don't have the experience to change exposure settings fast enough.

Thanks much!

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back