Followers
Following
Name
Tim
City/State
Shropshire
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
Canon firmware update 1.5.1 is now available for the R5.

Firmware Version 1.5.1 incorporates the following fix:

1. Fixes an issue that in rare instances, the camera may become inoperable when shooting in the Servo AF setting while operating the <AF-ON> button.

Firmware Version 1.5.1 is for cameras with firmware up to Version 1.5.0. If the camera's firmware is already Version 1.5.1, it is not necessary to update the firmware.

The firmware can be downloaded from Canon's Support Sites. US / Europe

Canon firmware update 1.5.1 is now available for the R5.

Firmware Version 1.5.1 incorporates the following fix:

1. Fixes an issue that in rare instances, the camera may become inoperable when shooting in the Servo AF setting while operating the <AF-ON> button.

Firmware Version 1.5.1 is for cameras with firmware up to Version 1.5.0. If the camera's firmware is already Version 1.5.1, it is not necessary to update the firmware.

The firmware can be downloaded from Canon's Support Sites. US / Europe
Thanks for the info as unaware. I use <AF-ON> button with Servo AF but not had any problems as yet. Will update to 1.5.1

I first tried to instal via the mac version but the .dmg file wouldn't do anything. Then downloaded on Windows and after unzipping the update file I was able to transfer it to an SD card and then instal. Does anyone know what was I doing wrong with the mac version?

• Admin
I first tried to instal via the mac version but the .dmg file wouldn't do anything. Then downloaded on Windows and after unzipping the update file I was able to transfer it to an SD card and then instal. Does anyone know what was I doing wrong with the mac version?
It might not open a folder in the directory where you have downloaded it to, instead it will mount the DMG in both your Finder sidebar under locations and on your desktop. So check these locations to see if there's anything there. It's worked fine on my Mac OS 11.6

It might not open a folder in the directory where you have downloaded it to, instead it will mount the DMG in both your Finder sidebar under locations and on your desktop. So check these locations to see if there's anything there. It's worked fine on my Mac OS 11.6
i’ll give that a try. i had the same issue for the 1.5 update but managed to resolve the issue.

Folks on Fredmiranda.com are reporting that the freeze issue is fixed (Servo AI and BBF) and that there is an improvement in animal eye tracking for BIF. Updating today and will report.

I did the update yesterday using my Mac to a SC card, and I didn't have any problem. I have a directory in documents that I named CanonR5Firmware. When I download an update, I click on the download - and it usually opens two files, I drag the two files to that directory (one is the update with the .FIR extension and the other is the folder with the instructions in various languages). Then I open another Finder Window, and drag the .FIR file to the external SD card. It seems to me that the directions I was reading on the Canon site on how to handle the download, didn't reflect what I saw on my computer or how I'd done these updates in the past. Perhaps that's what you ran in to, also. I'm glad you were able to do a work around --- I always hold my breathe when doing this updates!

I down loaded to my W11 PC to an SD card and installed without any problems. Just for a change I did this without a lens attached as there has been comments that this should be done.

Any reports about the latest update? Any noticeable improvements?

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back