Newcomer
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
RagnaR@4k
Good morning,
I recently purchased a Canon R7 which I use with an 18-150.
A strange fact happens: after a few shots, the camera, for no apparent reasons, goes into a state of suspension where the following events occur: "M" appears at the top left in the viewfinder while Tv has been set. The shutter button is inactive and the firing point is gone. All the objects in the image seem to have red shadows. I tried turning the camera off and on again, but the thing persists. Then it all ends after some minutes without any external action. It would seem to be something related to internal overheating as I read in some posts, which would explain why it starts again after a while.

If any of you had any suggestions on the matter I would only be highly grateful.
Greetings to everyone
Fabio

In the upper left, is it M or MF? If you are in manual focus for some reason, you get MF in the upper left corner and red fringing on the in-focus parts of the image if you have Focus Peaking turned on.

In the upper left, is it M or MF? If you are in manual focus for some reason, you get MF in the upper left corner and red fringing on the in-focus parts of the image if you have Focus Peaking turned on. Now I wonder why does this activate for no reason and why does the machine get stuck in this state.

Thank you for yr help.
Indeed is MF and not M and all yr descriprion is highly compatible with this fact. (I ignored the Focus Peaking).
Only I wonder why does this activate apparently for no reason and why does the machine get stuck in this state.
Is that possible to inadvertently activate that from pressing some button on the camera?
How do you get out of it?
Very obliged for yr kind assistance.
Regards
Fabio

Very clever of Anton to see what was happening.

To get out of this state, don't use MF (manual focusing). Focus peaking settings are in Menu > AF-5.

Well, I've run into the exact same thing. I wondered, WTH happened to my white balance? Camera must be broken. Water got in there, I dropped it, something, it was fun while it worked... oh, wait. Never mind.

So that is the RF-S18-150? Maybe your AF/MF switch on front of the R7 is not fully in the AF position, or you are moving it by accident. If it's not that, maybe the lens is not making good electrical contact at the mount. Whatever the actual cause is, it seems that the problem is from the camera going into MF mode.

Well, I've run into the exact same thing. I wondered, WTH happened to my white balance? Camera must be broken. Water got in there, I dropped it, something, it was fun while it worked... oh, wait. Never mind.

So that is the RF-S18-150? Maybe your AF/MF switch on front of the R7 is not fully in the AF position, or you are moving it by accident. If it's not that, maybe the lens is not making good electrical contact at the mount. Whatever the actual cause is, it seems that the problem is from the camera going into MF mode.
The fact is that sometimes the camera go in MF mode but with the shutter button inactive. I suppose there must be some electrical problem (as you suppose as well) and I will have it checked by Canon assistance.
Thank you very much for yr kind help.
Fabio

I was thinking about that inactive shutter button, but I don't have an explanation for that off the top of my head.

I don't see any possibility to map the MF function to a button, so I can't envision a way for this to happen accidentally that way. But maybe there is some other possibility, like having MF as one part of a configuration which is enabled using something like "Register/recall shooting func."

If it were mine, I'd start with just resetting to factory settings, making sure your button mappings are all default, and making sure the firmware is up to date. If you have any other lenses (or can borrow any), does it happen with them?

I was thinking about that inactive shutter button, but I don't have an explanation for that off the top of my head.

I don't see any possibility to map the MF function to a button, so I can't envision a way for this to happen accidentally that way. But maybe there is some other possibility, like having MF as one part of a configuration which is enabled using something like "Register/recall shooting func."

If it were mine, I'd start with just resetting to factory settings, making sure your button mappings are all default, and making sure the firmware is up to date. If you have any other lenses (or can borrow any), does it happen with them?
I will follow yr suggestion. I will keep you duly informed about. Thank You

Well. I mounted all the lenses one after the other. In those where I used the EF-RF adapter after a few minutes the camera apparently goes into MF mode with the shutter release button blocked even if the lens is set to AF. This is obviously an anomalous state which however miraculously unlocks if I just touch the SD card door (??). It almost seems like it's a false contact - Incredible. The thing then goes on without any further problems.
Frankly I don't understand!
If it gets worse I'll send everything to support.
Thank you again for yr support.
Regards
Fabio

You're welcome. I like puzzles. :)

If I start to dismount a lens while I'm using the R7, I get exactly what you are experiencing: MF, red fringing, and a disabled shutter button. I would start with a careful inspection of the pins and contacts on your camera and adapter. Make sure the pins are pushing in and out freely, and that the contacts all look the same with no debris. Maybe try a different adapter, if you don't find anything obvious. I think the simple answer is that the camera is losing communication with the lens.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back