Beverley

Newcomer
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Beverley Thain
Can I ask any users of the RF 800 f/11 lens for their opinions. At the moment I’m using the EF 100-400 with the 1.4 converter and the canon adapter. With wildlife I never think I have enough reach for birds in flight. How do you find the f/11 in low light conditions? Is it worth investing in this lens?

Here's how I look at it. The 100-500mm + 1.4TC will run you $3400 before taxes and you're stuck at 300-500mm with the converter on. It's worth every penny with the IQ but it's sure as heck clunky on a hike. But if I'm out on a day hike with a 24-105mm or 14-35mm on the front shooting landscapes and see a critter I want to shoot the 800mm weighs about the same as a bottle of water in my backpack and will keep me from regretting not taking 2 cameras. As for focus points, I'm thinking it's closer to 40% than 25% and you can always use single shot to focus and recompose, so it's not a big deal for me. I'm with Snappy on the JJC hood, even if I find Canon's stance on not including one ridiculous, and the only reason I would ever put it on a tripod would be to set it up on a constant target and trigger it. For what I paid for it it's a great lens to use in a pinch.

Or in my next career as a private investigator. ;)
I agree with what you are saying , except maybe the 40%! However, every chance the critter will have long gone by the time you get your lens out of the bag and on the body. I wonder how other owners go about carrying their 800 when the camera is attached and it's ready to use.

Some of my polar bear shots I used the 800mm. I also think I have a few with the 1.4x on it too. With the high ISO capabilities of the R5 I have been very happy.

I have used this lens since Jan 2022, formerly a Pentax shooter for over 45 years. My experience with this lens is it's a stellar performer. Initially, I was quite skeptical but am really loving it and I tend to use it most often as opposed to my RF100-400. You can find my shots on FB, RF 800. Here are a couple; the Wren was shot on an R6 at ISO 20,000 and processed in DPP4 and the noise cleaned up nicely.

Attachments

• IMG_7859-DPP.jpeg
    IMG_7859-DPP.jpeg
    482.3 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_2958-DPP.jpeg
    IMG_2958-DPP.jpeg
    549 KB · Views: 47

View Latest Canon RF Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back