Chris Summers

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Chris Summers
It's been getting pretty good reviews online from folks I respect like Duade Patton, Jan Wegener and Janine Krayer at Pangolin Wildlife. I own the Tamron 150-600mm G2 lens as well as the RF 800mm f/11 and like both. I would probably sell the 800 mm for no reason other than the 200-800mm is f/9 at full zoom and I would just appreciate the zoom range over a long prime as it is easier to find a moving target and then zoom in to shoot. I'll need to sell off some other things as I like to keep my hobby fairly cost neutral.

From what I am told they are quite severely back-ordered. One vendor (according to someone I know who is in the market) has a waiting list of 900!

Wouldn't say I'm serious, but I have been closely looking at it. But It just doesn't provide enough extra value to use it over my current RF100-500 + 1.4 extender go-to to justify (and deal with spousal reproach) the outlay.

Got on the list early at the usual place where I usually get mine in the first lot. Not this time. When I spoke with them I was told, "We only got one in the first shipment. Can't remember when the last time that happened. It might be a while, but not nearly as long as others."

Yes, like I said I will sell some things so waiting a bit won't be a problem. I no longer duck and goose hunt so I have 2 nice shotguns that should bring in enough, plus I probably will sell my 800mm f/11 lens.

It's been getting pretty good reviews online from folks I respect like Duade Patton, Jan Wegener and Janine Krayer at Pangolin Wildlife. I own the Tamron 150-600mm G2 lens as well as the RF 800mm f/11 and like both. I would probably sell the 800 mm for no reason other than the 200-800mm is f/9 at full zoom and I would just appreciate the zoom range over a long prime as it is easier to find a moving target and then zoom in to shoot. I'll need to sell off some other things as I like to keep my hobby fairly cost neutral.
Hi Chris, I have recently got my RF 200-800 mm and like you I have the RF 800mm f11 and all I will say is the RF 200-800 mm is head and shoulders better than the RF 800mm f11.

The image quality from the 200-800 is superb and the lens build is near to "L" quality IMHO, the AF is fast and accurate and the tracking is spot on, I'm using mine on the R6 MKii.

There is no doubting it's a huge lens and a bit chunky but it's hand holdable with it's built in image stabiliser.

If you buy the RF 200-800 mm you won't be disappointed if you can live with the smaller apertures.

Cheers Chimpy.

Not in shops here until March so i hear, but will getting one when the do get here.
Hi MrSparks999, I don't know where you are based in the UK but Wilkinson cameras have had stock of the RF200-800 mm I got mine a few weeks back.

I currently have the Sigma 150-600 contemporary, which I've been pretty happy with, but if I were to move to an RF long telephoto it would either be the RF 200-800 or the RF 100-500. I will say that one thing I really like about the Sigma is the fact that it is f/6.3 at 600mm. If I decided to get the RF200-800, I'd probably keep the Sigma as well, but if I opted for the RF100-500, I'd likely sell the Sigma just to offset the much higher price.

I currently have the Sigma 150-600 contemporary, which I've been pretty happy with, but if I were to move to an RF long telephoto it would either be the RF 200-800 or the RF 100-500. I will say that one thing I really like about the Sigma is the fact that it is f/6.3 at 600mm. If I decided to get the RF200-800, I'd probably keep the Sigma as well, but if I opted for the RF100-500, I'd likely sell the Sigma just to offset the much higher price.
I own the Tamron 150-600 and plan to keep it if I end up getting the 200-800mm. I shoot with the R and R7 so I figure a lens for each body.

View Latest Canon RF Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back