Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
City/State
Sydney
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
I might be spending a month in Scotland and maybe a few days in Portugal. These are my lenses on an RF6 -
Canon RF 16mm F2. 8 STM - 162g
Canon RF 35mm F1. 8 Macro IS STM - 300g
Canon RF 50mm F1. 8 STM -160g
Canon RF 100-400mm F5.6-F8 IS - 635g
Canon RF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM - 700g
i find the 24-105 quite heavy to walk around with and am thinking of leaving it behind. I don’t mind changing lenses
What do you think?

I think lens choices for travel are purpose driven, however, for me, in general, the 24-105mm is such a great travel lens because the convenience of not changing lenses far outweighs the extra weight... especially if you are willing to leave the 35mm and the 50mm home. Again, if you have a purpose for your macro lens or the nifty 50 for your trip, then that clearly may be your preference.

I might be spending a month in Scotland and maybe a few days in Portugal. These are my lenses on an RF6 -
i find the 24-105 quite heavy to walk around with and am thinking of leaving it behind. I don’t mind changing lenses
What do you think?
I have all of the same lenses except the 100-400 (its next on my list). I went to Japan for 2 weeks earlier this year and took the 24-105 f4, 16 f2.8 & 35 f1.8. The 24-105 was my most used lens with the 16 & 35 used when I needed wide angle or for low light situations. I'd definitely recommend taking the 24-105 along because of it's versatility and I didn't find it to heavy or bulky and the 16 & 35, which are really easy to carry around. At night I would sometimes leave the 24-105 & my camera bag in the hotel & have either the 35 or 16 on my camera, slung over my shoulder and the other in my Jacket pocket for a small lightweight set-up. The 100-400 would depend on if you think you need the extra length.

On my last trip to Europe - just before the lurgy - I took an R with the 35 and 24-105, and the 35 was definitely more portable as a walk around lens, plus I quite enjoy the visual discipline of working with a fixed focal length.

Later this month we’re off to Brisbane and Sydney visiting friends and family, and I’ll be taking the R6 and 14-35 and 70-200. The 14-35 will cover city walks and family, the 70-200 any strange beasts we encounter. I gather the place is full of them. The iPhone will cover meals… 🍷😆

The 16mm, 35mm and 50mm come out to 622g. If you bring them all and plan to change as go you still have to carry them, unless you plan not to take them all out every day.

You will probably want the 16mm for sure. I have thing for the 24-105 as well. It is always with me for that type of shooting. Perhaps a comfy shoulder strap? I use Peak Design Slide, not Lite. The Slide has more meat to it. I carry my 100-500 for long periods of time with it. There are others out there. I don't worry about low light too much these days with all the AI noise reduction out there.

Outside of that if weight is a concern I'd go with the 16 and and 35. You can always crop in with the 35.

Thanks for all of your suggestions. I think I should probably take the 24-105, as well as the rest except for the 50. I won’t be carrying them all at the same time. I also like the discipline of just carrying one lens but I always end up hankering for one I left behind.
I might go through my photos and see which lens I use mostly and which focal length on the 24-105

What do you think?
Out of the lenses listed I think you will find the 24-105 will be your most used lens for the trip. I would definitely take it and the 16 for wider shots. Depending on what you are planning to see the 100-400 would be the third lens I took.

I travel between 6 and 7 months out of the year for work and was taking the 14-35, 24-105 and 100-400. I purposedly went out and bought the 24-240, and now I take it and the 14-35, and that is it 90% of the time. Everything else sits at home, unless I am doing something I know I will want a longer lens, then the 100-400 goes, but that's very rare. I have also found that my most used lens is now the 24-240, whether at home of on travel.

I might take everything except the 50mm ... won't be carrying them all at once. I hardly ever use the 16mm ... can't seem to get the hang of it.
Do you use an external hard drive to back up photos when you're travelling? I used to have a My Passport but seem to have lost it

I have an iPad Pro that goes everywhere with me, and an SD card adapter, so I use it as my backup. It also means that I can do some editing in Lightroom on the road - but I tend to leave most of the heavy lifting until I get home.

I copy them over to my laptop that goes with me, plus I have enough cards that I can leave them on the two cards (I always record Raw and JPG to both cards) until I get home.

View Latest Canon RF Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back