Followers
Following
Name
Paul
City/State
Geneseo
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
I'm getting close to buying a used EF 70-200 2.8 for my R7. Does anyone know what the differences (I,II,III) are and how important those differences are? Also, should I also consider a different lens for travel/hiking wildlife and landscape photography? TIA

Solution
Have owned all 3 EF lenses. The MkII was a major improvement over the MkI for IQ and AF (on 5D4). The MkIII was not really better than the MkII.
i also have the opportunity to pick up the Sigma 70-200 f2.8 DG OS HSM for $500 in excellent near new condition. Any thoughts?

Mk3 obviously is the newest among the three and the best one (if you are referring to the IS versions)? Each generation has some slight improvements such as IS and optical quality than the predecessors. There is some 18years of difference in technology between the Mk1 and the Mk3.

If you are thinking of it as a travel/hiking lens, why not trying the RF70-200 F4 instead? It is a lot lighter, optically superior.

The rf F4 is more expensive than the mk1. I’m trying buy used for below $750. It’s always good to know how much I’m giving up from the mk2

Have owned all 3 EF lenses. The MkII was a major improvement over the MkI for IQ and AF (on 5D4). The MkIII was not really better than the MkII.

Solution
This is correct. There was no optical difference between the version II and version III. The II was a significant upgrade over the original. I would have no concern over getting a EF 70-200 F2.8 L IS II instead of a III (if I didn’t already have one 😎) but would not purchase a version i.

I also think that the II or III are better than the Sigma.

The I is a pump lens, the II is a ring type of lens and has better optical, in the III the optical is slightly better than the II. Between the II and the III, you can save some money buying the II. That's what I got after all my research.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back