Canon R EOS R

Our Canon R Resources: Firmware | User Guide | Price Check: B&H Photo

I use the R in tandem with my 5D MKiv and the battery life is like night and day. Especially if using live view, and I've been doing a fair bit of astro recently which makes it worse. Been a Canon user since about 2006 and never given battery life a second thought before, far less wanted to buy a grip. Desperate for some football to restart (soccer that means to you merkins :p ) so I can give the R a decent workout. Only time I use jpeg.

I carry an extra SD card in my camera bag just in case I forget to take the card out of the PC after uploading my pictures. I once went out for a shoot and realised, too late, that I had no card in the camera. There is no internal memory in the camera available for storage so I coudln't take any shots.

I carry an extra SD card in my camera bag just in case I forget to take the card out of the PC after uploading my pictures. I once went out for a shoot and realised, too late, that I had no card in the camera. There is no internal memory in the camera available for storage so I coudln't take any shots.
Good idea. Only once :ROFLMAO:
I can't count the number of times I've done it. A couple of times I've had to take the music card out of the car and use that...
Also with my 5D iv, I've thought about sticking a CF card in the other slot permanently. Can't find one lying around the house though.

Just got my R and hopefully this forum will help with any tips or tricks in using it most efficiently.
Here's how I have some of the main things set on EOS R set up - may point you towards some things to try out?

I use the M.Fn bar to switch between AF modes, which I limit to Tracking and Point. A simple swipe from one mode to the other is pretty quick or you can just press on one end or the other to change modes. The bar's overall flexibility is a bit limited by Canon's decisions about what functions can be assigned to it, but don't just dismiss it's use without giving it a try first.

I use back button focus on the AF On button.

I use the * button to select shooting mode between servo and single shot selection.

I use the lens control ring for ISO.

I use the rear touch screen for focus point selection and to avoid "nose control", as I'm a right eye shooter, I use the right half of the touch screen in relative mode - if you are a left eye shooter try this on the left hand side of the touch screen

For a camera as fine as the R, the Touch Bar is an unmitigated disaster. What were they thinking? Mine’s been turned off since Day 2.
While I won't say I like the touch bar, I do still use it. I have mine set to cycle through the different AF modes, which is pretty handy as long as you don't accidentally touch it.

I'll be getting an R5 soon, and won't say I'll be sad to see that touchbar go though...

I've been using the R for about 2 years, I tried with the touch bar far about a month, mainly for ISO so when I bought a control ring adaptor the touch bar became redundant. Not had too many battery issues, I do have spare batteries from my old EOS 60D and 60Da. I didn't buy a battery grip, I felt this defeating the object of buying an R over the 5D MkIV I actually planned to buy when went to the shop. Tenba do a really nice twin battery pouch for the LP-E6 size batteries, I used it with my 60D at air shows and it's come in handy with R, even so it goes most of the day on one battery. I have noticed a big difference between Canon and 3rd party batteries in terms of life. Both seem to have the same rating but the Canon battery runs for longer, I'm wondering if there is some better power saving circuitry in there on standby hat the clones just don't have or Canon just don't activate if it's not an OEM battery.

Well I have been using the R for about a month, big step up from the RP (I didn't expect it but it is). I haven't noticed much battery issues but I'm using a battery grip with Canon LP-E6NH batteries. I have been pretty dang happy 3 weeks shot 300-400 pictures and still 75%. I haven't really used the bar at all. I have played around with FV mode some and if you like to use the modes vs manual you may like it. If you have been a Canon shooter get the adapter to use your old lens they work terrific. I guess that is all I have right now still learning the tricks myself but so far very happy. I don't think I have pulled my RP out since I have got it.

I was out with my R yesterday. Got over 1200 RAWs off one charge. About half of those were silent shutter so I’m guessing that helps?

Our Canon R Resources: Firmware | User Guide | Price Check: B&H Photo

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back