EVF Confusion

pcassel

Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Paul Cassel
I'm hardly a new photographer but I sure am to the various settings in this R7. In this case, because I have no idea what to call these things, I can't locate them in the docs or the camera menus. Or so I hope that's all this is.

Please note: I made zero changes to the camera settings. I picked the camera up today to do some shooting seeing that the viewfinder's changed. Again, if I changed any setting from my last camera session, I did it in my sleep because I sure don't remember nor do I have a reason to change things. I was happy as things were. My dog claims ignorance.

What I now have in my EVF is a 1/4 screen sized histogram in the upper right corner. The middle of the VF has what looks like open parentheses and close parentheses roughly one third the height of the VF's image. Inside these ( ) are two vertical bars that rise and fall presumably with the light but I'm unsure. In addition, there is a horizontal line that I take to be the horizon or level line.

NOT ONE of these artifacts existed when I turned the camera off two days ago. I did not update firmware nor do I know if there's even such an update possible. Whatever are these settings called so I can turn them off and how did they 'just appear'?

Any comments welcome.

Scroll through the VF displays with, I think, the info button on the back.

EDIT: yes, just tried on my R3 and it is the Info button. I get three displays; histogram and level (what you’re seeing), a bare-bones one with just a few informational icons, and one with a lot of icons.

Last edited:
Info button? I must have hit it by accident.

BTW, I found the two vertical bars are sound. IMO, this is an ideal video display but unfortunately does not work with the live view screen.

Hi, the Info button is holding various Screen information, just push it several time to end up were you started. Great to fast switch betwwen different information. The adjustment on what is shown, can be set in the menue.

BR,

Michael

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back