exposure compensation

kat

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Kathleen Marquardt
I have my R6 set to Manual with the ISO on auto. When I adjust the exposure compensation it adjusts the time value. How do I make them separate controls? I wanted to keep exposure at 1/350 and when I adjusted the exposure compensation the time value went down to 1/20.

I think the easiest way is to use Tv and set the SS where you want it. Use auto ISO and the camera will set the F stop for you and adjust the ISo if needed. If you want to set F stop and SS using auto ISO set them while in Manual mode.

I have my R6 set to Manual with the ISO on auto. When I adjust the exposure compensation it adjusts the time value. How do I make them separate controls? I wanted to keep exposure at 1/350 and when I adjusted the exposure compensation the time value went down to 1/20.
Please correct me if I am wrong, but if you are on manual then exposure compensation has to either effect the shutter speed or the aperture. As Ed said to keep your shutter speed the same you need to be in TV mode and then adjusting the exposure compensation will change the aperture. The other way is to adjust your aperture when you are in manual mode and that will change your exposure compensation.
Here is an example from the Canon Knowledge forum: https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/index?page=content&id=ART177933
As you can see the aperture changes when the exposure compensation is changed

IMHO, the best, and least used mode, on the camera is Fv mode. It will do exactly what you want. You can choose to manually adjust any 3 of the four (Tv, Av, Exposure, and ISO) and leave the fourth in Auto. In your scenario, with Fv mode, you could set shutter to 1/350, aperture to anything you want, or Auto, dial the exposure comp up or down and the ISO will take care of itself. You can choose to have any, all, or none of the exposure triangle set to manual or auto, and as long as at least one of them is Auto, you can also adjust the exposure compensation.

I am a manual mode shooter and have found Fv to be fantastic!

This is not an attempt to answer your question.

I haven't had my R5 long enough to remember what all the controls do. What I find most annoying is when it is on auto the ISO is used and swings about all over the place when there is loads of latitude to use apature and shutter settings. Not had that with other digital cameras.

Give Fv. Mode a try. It will not take long to get used to being able to select what needs changing with a flick of the thumb. Since first using it now has become my first choice for set-up.

I just set my R6 to M, 1/320,f/8, iso Auto. With EC at zero, the displayed iso is displayed as 2000 in the viewfinder. If I change the EC to -2 , iso goes to 320, speed stays at 1/320, fstop stays f/8. If I chage EC to +3, iso goes to 10000 , f/8,1/320. Sounds like my r6 is doing what you want yours to do. I am using an EF lens through a Canon ring adapter.

I think it's best you'd program a button or use the adjust ring on your RF lens or adaptor to perform the exposure compensation when using M mode with Auto ISO.

Fv mode for me too. Like anything, it takes a little practice to get used to switching between the options though worth the persistence.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back