Front of lens protection filters. Buy cheap or expensive?

View Latest Canon RF Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Greg

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Greg Sinclair
City/State
Telford
What is your opinion of front of lens protection filters?

In the analogue days it was easy to buy, a UV filter was sufficient and cost a few ££. Digital seems very different, very technical, can be very expensive.

Or is it all a con and we can still use cheap filters with no loss of image quality?

What do you use?

I also like their tree planting scheme.

Their tin filter case with the screw on lid is the best packing I've seen and it is recyclable

I used to buy filters for all my lenses but believe the why put a bit of flat glass on an expensive lens, I also had a camera falling over on a stormy day and the 5D3 and my 24-70L mk1 ended up in a puddle of salt water on a rocky headland the the filter could not be undone, as it was an insurance job I resisted cutting the filter off and the lens was deemed un-repairable (due to age) and replaced, but since then I do not use filters for protection except for sporting events with flying stones etc. I have Kase magnetic filters and use them.

View Latest Canon RF Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back