crimycarny

Newcomer
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
crimycarny
Hi everyone. For years I took pictures of my kids participating in various youth sports. My oldest son, who wasn't into sports himself, was my helper. He had a knack for getting candid pictures that perfectly captured the emotion of the moment. I was too technically focused, trying to get perfect "action" shots, but my son would see something funny in the dugout, or a musing expression on a spectator, and knew instinctively that moment would make a good photo. Looking at his photos it was like reliving that moment--I could never seem to "see" those same moments when they happened but my son could. I guess it's what people call having "the eye". Well, he died less than 2 years ago at 25. I want to try and get started in photography again as a way to honor my son. But I can't seem to get started. So joining this forum in the hopes of seeing some pictures that might give me inspiration.

That's really lovely. I find photographs and photography to be a wonderful way to feel connected to lost loved ones as well. All the best in your journey.

You don't need to go solo. Find some other people nearby who want to go on photo walks with you, or want to shoot games with you, or whatever.

You don't need to go solo. Find some other people nearby who want to go on photo walks with you, or want to shoot games with you, or whatever.
I haven't been able to find a local photography group in my area, though I haven't been looking as hard as I could. Grief is hard, can make you sort of frozen. That's why I was glad to find this forum, maybe it will help me take that first step. Get some inertia. Definitely seeing some amazing photos on this site and great tips and info.

I haven't been able to find a local photography group in my area, though I haven't been looking as hard as I could. Grief is hard, can make you sort of frozen. That's why I was glad to find this forum, maybe it will help me take that first step. Get some inertia. Definitely seeing some amazing photos on this site and great tips and info.
Grief definitely is hard. My wife was often my helper but passed almost 3 years ago. I have barely touched a camera in years, first because I was busy caring for her, then because I was in a funk. I recently made myself grab a camera and take some pictures. Nothing extravagant, just “stuff”. That created a spark that got me excited again. All my DSLRs are pretty long in the tooth now, but my new R7 just arrived today! Can’t wait to get out and shoot some pics this weekend. I plan doing a bunch of travel next summer and I’m already planning all the photos and video I want to shoot. Check Meetup for local camera groups if you haven’t yet. But even if there isn’t, just get your butt out there by yourself and start taking pictures!

Getting into wildlife photography is to me the best thing I have ever done for my mental health. Being alone in the trails looking for wildlife is the best relaxation you can find. Then photo editing, admiring the colors and composition of your shots makes you feel full of joy and looking for more opportunities to take more shots.

Grief definitely is hard. My wife was often my helper but passed almost 3 years ago. I have barely touched a camera in years, first because I was busy caring for her, then because I was in a funk. I recently made myself grab a camera and take some pictures. Nothing extravagant, just “stuff”. That created a spark that got me excited again. All my DSLRs are pretty long in the tooth now, but my new R7 just arrived today! Can’t wait to get out and shoot some pics this weekend. I plan doing a bunch of travel next summer and I’m already planning all the photos and video I want to shoot. Check Meetup for local camera groups if you haven’t yet. But even if there isn’t, just get your butt out there by yourself and start taking pictures!
Thank you. This grief journey is so difficult, especially losing my son at age 25. My heart child. I've been trying to get my butt out there, but I can't seem to move. The photos on here help inspire me and give me some ideas. I've noticed that the photos I'm drawn to are shots in the 24mm range. Looking back at some of my son's photos, that's what he used too. Even with his beloved Samsung phone, he could make photos interesting by using different perspectives. Like I said, he just had "the eye".

Getting into wildlife photography is to me the best thing I have ever done for my mental health. Being alone in the trails looking for wildlife is the best relaxation you can find. Then photo editing, admiring the colors and composition of your shots makes you feel full of joy and looking for more opportunities to take more shots.
It's interesting you mention photo editing as that was always the part I enjoyed the most. Now I just need to take some photos! Going to try and find some local nature trails today. It's not going to be "wildlife" per se, more local jogging-type trails, but it's a start.

Oddly a unexpected family passing was the impetus for me to get back into photography after 35yr hiatus other than phone photos.
Very quickly become all consuming passion a bit.
There is a certain amount of solace with photography no matter what your genre is.
I find storm chasing quite peaceful even though its actually not

Welcome and thank you for joining up here. I'm very sorry to hear about the passing of your son at such a young age. Photography can be a great way to take your mind away from life's struggles, so it's great that you are getting back into it again.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back