Other I'd like to get into wildlife photography.

Brian1965

Newcomer
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Brian Donnelly
I'd like to get into wildlife photography, but I don't know the most cost-effective way to do it. I imagine I'll need the RF 100-500 mm lens, but which camera, R5, R6 ii, R7 or R8?

For 4 legged critters I use the R7, 100-400 and 1.4x TC. Under $2500.
Pics in my gallery.

I'd like to get into wildlife photography, but I don't know the most cost-effective way to do it. I imagine I'll need the RF 100-500 mm lens, but which camera, R5, R6 ii, R7 or R8?
R7, huh? That camera keeps getting recommended. Maybe when the time comes...

I'm using an R3 with 800mm f11 and getting good results. I also have a 100-400mm for closer subjects.

R3's beyond my budget.
Wasn't so much the R3 as the lenses I was recommending, you can get both for less than the 100-500mm. I am coming from using a 1Dx with 500mm F4 so I am used to large L series lenses. I find the quality of the 800mm is great given its cost.

Wasn't so much the R3 as the lenses I was recommending, you can get both for less than the 100-500mm. I am coming from using a 1Dx with 500mm F4 so I am used to large L series lenses. I find the quality of the 800mm is great given its cost.
OK

You are starting at a great time, really. In the past, all the good long lenses were way up there in price. Now, there are several really good Canon lenses that are very reasonable. My recommendation would be either the RF 100-400, the RF 600 f/11 or the RF 800 f/11 on the R7 camera body. I have used all of these and they are so much less expensive and just as good as anything you could have found even four years ago. When you have decided if you really want to pursue wildlife photography, the next step would be to pick up a refurbished or used RF 1.4X Extender. I have found that the extender works very well with these camera and lens combinations. Actually, the RF 100-400, RF 600 f/11, and the RF 800 f/11 are often available through the Canon refurbished sales outlet. <https://www.cpricewatch.com/> I see the only one with any stock at the moment is the RF 600 f/11 but the other lenses can be set up so you are notified when they are available. The R7 is not yet for sale as a refurbished unit but it should show up soon. These are honestly great starting equipment combinations and you can move up to more capable equipment at any time your skills and budget might allow while keeping the less expensive items for backup. I should add that the RF 100-400 would be much more versatile since it will focus very close and the two fixed focal length lenses are unable to focus closer than several yards without extensions tubes. <https://www.canon-europe.com/pro/in...nsion tube is an,further away from the camera.>

You are starting at a great time, really. In the past, all the good long lenses were way up there in price. Now, there are several really good Canon lenses that are very reasonable. My recommendation would be either the RF 100-400, the RF 600 f/11 or the RF 800 f/11 on the R7 camera body. I have used all of these and they are so much less expensive and just as good as anything you could have found even four years ago. When you have decided if you really want to pursue wildlife photography, the next step would be to pick up a refurbished or used RF 1.4X Extender. I have found that the extender works very well with these camera and lens combinations. Actually, the RF 100-400, RF 600 f/11, and the RF 800 f/11 are often available through the Canon refurbished sales outlet. <https://www.cpricewatch.com/> I see the only one with any stock at the moment is the RF 600 f/11 but the other lenses can be set up so you are notified when they are available. The R7 is not yet for sale as a refurbished unit but it should show up soon. These are honestly great starting equipment combinations and you can move up to more capable equipment at any time your skills and budget might allow while keeping the less expensive items for backup. I should add that the RF 100-400 would be much more versatile since it will focus very close and the two fixed focal length lenses are unable to focus closer than several yards without extensions tubes. <https://www.canon-europe.com/pro/infobank/lens-extension-tubes/#:~:text=An extension tube is an,further away from the camera.>
Thanks! What about the 70-200 f4?

Hi, I can vouch for the Rf 100-500, it's nice and sharp and fast to focus as well, I have the R6 ii also, coming over from Nikon it took a bit of getting used to the menus, especially setting up the AF! but I think I've got the hang of it now and the wife says she'll take the straight jacket off me tomorrow.:D Seriously, I've only had the setup a week and I love it already.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back