nickhanson

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Nick Hanson
We have had a few sunrise cloud inversions here on the Isle of Skye recently, some of which were not necessarily forecast, meaning I missed them. One particular inversion I missed was on Monday of this week, when I woke to the sound of the fog horn from the early ferry sailing over from Uig to the island of Harris at around 05:00.

I was of course kicking myself as the forecast didn't suggest there was going to be an inversion, so I kept my eye on the weather websites for the following morning. The low cloud hung around all day and into the evening, so I set my alarm for 02:00 in the hope of being treated to some nice conditions at sunrise.

Heading out at 02:30, I headed over to the Quiraing first, which would hopefully allow me to gauge if in fact there was an inversion and how high its base was. Upon reaching the Quiraing around 15 minutes later I was completely fogged in and the cloud base appeared to be rather high, so I continued on down to the Old Man of Storr as this would allow me to get higher than most of the viewpoints at the Quiraing.

Heading up the path to my viewpoint at Storr I was walking through mist, however looking back I could see the inversion which although didn't reach all the way up to the pinnacles I would be photographing, it was still very high.

Shortly after my arrival at the viewpoint the low cloud rolled in from the north and completely removed my view of the pinnacles below, however this was still 45 minutes before sunrise, so I knew there was still a good chance of getting what I hoped for, so just had to be patient.

This particular image is when my excitement started to raise, as the misty cloud started to thing and light began to illuminate the pinnacles below.

NHP_2847.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF15-35mm F2.8 L IS USM
  • 35.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/6 sec
  • ISO 100

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back