tpatana

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Tero Patana
My usual sports is very different, so this soccer is all new to me. Lot of things to learn about focusing and composing. Got some ok ones today, but need to learn to be better.

TR5_1431.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • EF400mm f/2.8L IS USM
  • 400.0 mm
  • ƒ/2.8
  • 1/1250 sec
  • ISO 125

Good crisp shot. I got my EOS R in January but I haven't been able to get to any football since October to test it out. Before that I was using a 7D Mkii and a 5D Mkiv, so I traded in the 7D. I'm still not sure about the EVF on the R so if it doesn't suit my sports photography it can still be my landscape body. It's great fun to use anyway and seems to focus quicker than my 5D.

Nice picture. I just received my R6. Waiting for my RF 100-500 to arrive. I have a son that play soccer so I'll be getting lots of soccer shots. Hopefully mine turn out as nice as yours.

One of the biggest things in sports shooting is to stay low. This makes the players appear bigger. Especially youth. You did a good job here.

Take a look at sports news outlets to see the photos. I will advocate to you to join Facebook groups like one that I participate in called "SPORTS ACTION PHOTOGRAPHY". Joining a group of like minded people is a terrific way to learn and share. Mostly learn. This particular group helps to greatly flatten the learning curve of sports photography. I can say that I have improved easily two-fold. We talk about all aspects of shooting.

The knowledge I have gotten from joining the group, not only pertains to sports, but photography in general. Example: you can spot a novice immediately simply by noticing that the horizon lines are tilted one way or another. and that's okay. We are not born with knowledge. It takes time and experience.

Nice picture. I just received my R6. Waiting for my RF 100-500 to arrive. I have a son that play soccer so I'll be getting lots of soccer shots. Hopefully mine turn out as nice as yours.
Your biggest challenge is when they play at night. You will want a faster lens. Many people start out with the 70-200mm f/2.8, then grow into a 300mm f/2.8, then (possibly) a 400mm f/2.8. I am content with my Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8.

I shoot high school sports and occasionally professional men's and women's soccer. Of course the lighting on the pro field (BBVA Stadium) is made for television, so my ISO speeds come way down thankfully.

ISO speeds for sports on our high school field can range from 4000-8000 depending on humidity. IOS's at BBVA Stadium is more like 2500 to 3200. I huge difference in terms of noise!!

Yea outdoor lights are always interesting, but same goes for indoors sports too. One big event I should some years ago, was mostly at ISO6400 but for semi-finals and finals they cranked up the lights ~1.5 stops. Made big difference. Also I was getting sweaty, it was lot of bright lights.

Yea outdoor lights are always interesting, but same goes for indoors sports too. One big event I should some years ago, was mostly at ISO6400 but for semi-finals and finals they cranked up the lights ~1.5 stops. Made big difference. Also I was getting sweaty, it was lot of bright lights.
Yep! I'm "fortunate" enough to get 1/500 at ISO 5000 in our gym for girls basketball! I don't sweat it. The results for the 5DM4 are not bad. I look forward to shooting with the R5!

Yep! I'm "fortunate" enough to get 1/500 at ISO 5000 in our gym for girls basketball! I don't sweat it. The results for the 5DM4 are not bad. I look forward to shooting with the R5!

My typical setting is right about that range, 1/500 F2.8 ISO6400. Probably 90% of my indoor sport photos are with those settings. I know that's slow for many sports, but it works for mine as it gives little bit motion on the swords, instead of static. Makes them look more alive. Similar idea as many motor sports look better with slower ss and panning the subject. Here's example of my shots:

Kote.jpg

My typical setting is right about that range, 1/500 F2.8 ISO6400. Probably 90% of my indoor sport photos are with those settings. I know that's slow for many sports, but it works for mine as it gives little bit motion on the swords, instead of static. Makes them look more alive. Similar idea as many motor sports look better with slower ss and panning the subject. Here's example of my shots:

View attachment 3274

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back