Followers
Following
Name
Allan Kravitz
City/State
Saddlebrooke, AZ
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
need recommendation for best lens to use for newborn baby pics (amateur)
I have:
rf 24-105 F4
ef 100 macro F2.8
ef 50 F1.4

need recommendation for best lens to use for newborn baby pics (amateur)
I have:
rf 24-105 F4
ef 100 macro F2.8
ef 50 F1.4
Those are good lenses to use. I'd keep the 50 on and switch to macro for the details (feet, fingers, lips, etc). Your zoom lens would be great if you have a small space, or just want to keep one on and not have to be switching. My 50 is giving me trouble right now, so I'm just using my 24-105 f4 lens the most.

The 100mm macro takes amazing portrait pictures.
Why don't you use all 3 lenses and see what comes out best?

Allan…

I have similar lenses.
  1. My default choice would be my RF 24–105 f/4. It's raison d'être is to be a general purpose lens of outstanding quality. This is the one to take!
  2. If lighting might be a problem, or if I wanted shallow depth of field, I 'd choose my nifty-fifty RF 50 f/1.8. With the R5, it's a compact, lightweight solution!
  3. RF 100 f/2.8 Macro? It would stay at home: however, if cute little toes were on the to-shoot list…
… David

Last edited:
I just rocked my 50mm (75 equivalent) 1.8 on my Pentax K-50 and took some nice shots (my opinion) of my 9 month old. I love the 50s (Ordered the RF 50 1.8 bc why not for $150…) I take pics of her crawling and playing and the short lens of the 50 or EF-S 18-55 seems just right to me. I‘d go 50 1.4.

I’ll add I received my RF 50 STM 1.8 today and did some fooling around with it. It’s fast, but a touch noisy. The 24-105 STM is virtually silent and seems to focus slightly faster. So far the shots I’ve taken with it seem nice enough for a $150 used lens. It super small and light. I think for family/friends, casual use it’s perfect. So far seems to punch a little above its price, other than the slightly noisy AF (really being picky, it’s silent compared to Pentax screw drive af systems.)

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back