Followers
Following
Name
Allan Kravitz
City/State
Saddlebrooke, AZ
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
I want to take some long exposures while traveling with no tripod. approximately, what is the longest shutter speed you can achieve with the R6 Mark II and a 24-105 lens, using a circular polarizer and or ND filters?

I have to think that’s a very individual thing and depends how steady your hands are. If I’m going much longer than normal speeds (like 1/focal length) I get the tripod out.

I agree it’s going to be a very individual thing, depending on both physical characteristics and individual technique of the photographer. If possible, I always try and get some extra support from whatever is available when taking longish exposures - a tree, wall, post etc. I would try some experiments before you go travelling to see what you can achieve. A couple of other thoughts - a monopod is easier to carry than a tripod (but obviously not as stable) and sharpening software can sometimes do remarkable things with imperfect images.

I took a 1/10 at 25600 or 51200 ISO and I think I was wide open, probably 4.5 with the 24-105 at maybe 35mm, but I’ll have to check the exif for all the specs. Reviewing the picture in the evf it appears very useable. I like doing that kind of stuff, and messing around with long exposures.

I did some fooling around with this topic tonight. I used handheld and handheld chest/leg supported. I was able to get (what look like in camera) useable results (and seem to be sharp) with the following settings:

6” F8.0 ISO 100
2” F4.0 ISO 100
1”3 F4.0 ISO 100
1” F2.8 ISO 100
0”3 F1.8 ISO 100
1/50 F1.8 ISO 2000

The R8 doesn’t have IBIS so I did this with IBIS off. The 50mm STM isn’t stabilized.

6” F8.0 ISO 100 (Likely not useable.)
2” F4.0 ISO 100 (Needs sharpening.)
1”3 F4.0 ISO 100 (Not sharp, probably useable with sharpening)
1” F2.8 ISO 100 (Decent, could use sharpening.)
0”3 F1.8 ISO 100 (Decent.)
1/50 F1.8 ISO 2000 (Sharp)

All but the 6” are probably useable with good post sharpening. I’d say an IS lens would probably give you good results.

Seems like the R6M2 IBIS works well.

If you want to take a tripod, then why not consider a beanbag which is much easier to carry around.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back