LrC 13.3 is out

Would need to see your image to judge. Been using Lens Blur since it came in and I've never had it do an entire image. From your comments I'm assuming it can't seem to find a subject to base the blur on.
I'm new to the feature. The defaults are unfortunate and misled me. However, as I mentioned in another post, I was able to progress, but it was tough.

Here is a pic that would benefit from blurring of the background.
R7_C2045 Yellow-rumped Warbler (Myrtle).jpg
  • Canon EOS R7
  • RF100-500mm F4.5-7.1 L IS USM
  • 500.0 mm
  • ƒ/7.1
  • 1/500 sec
  • ISO 1000

And here is a version after using Lens Blur. LR completely missed the subject; I had to manually adjust the focus range. That got the bird sharp (but minus part of a leg) and there were some really weird artifacts in the background.
R7_C2045 Yellow-rumped Warbler (Myrtle)-used Lens Blur.jpg
  • Canon EOS R7
  • 500.0 mm
  • ƒ/7.1
  • 1/500 sec
  • ISO 1000

Oddly enough, some of those artifacts resolved on export. That is to say, the view in the Develop module didn't match what was in the exported file. Comparison below: Exported file on the left, Develop view on the right. (Tried it twice and got the same result.)
R7_C2045 Develop vs Exported.jpg

Oddly enough, some of those artifacts resolved on export. That is to say, the view in the Develop module didn't match what was in the exported file. Comparison below: Exported file on the left, Develop view on the right. (Tried it twice and got the same result.)
View attachment 28442
That's really odd. Even more interesting is that the artifact on the right is gone but you got an extra one on the shorter branch.

My workflow has evolved over time and I now do most of my "Lightroom" work in Photoshop by invoking the Camera Raw Filter (it's the Develop module) on a new layer. So when I've noticed stuff like this I'll generally do a separate blur step and mask out the artifacts.

With that said, I know this is a Lightroom post but this image is a tough one given all the close branches and I'm thinking AI just isn't there yet to figure out what's small but in the same plane and what's big in the background, so sometimes you have to switch to Manual mode.

For this image I'd (either before or after all other Lightroom/Camera Raw Filter adjustments):
  1. isolate the bird (Select Subject)
  2. save the selection as a channel so it can be reused)
  3. invert the selection and make just that a new layer (ctrl/cmd-j)
  4. use gausian blur to blur everything
  5. reselect the subject using the channel, create a layer mask, and then invert the mask to remove any creeping blur over the subject
  6. use a black brush in the mask to paint back the stuff I want in focus/as original (you can vary the brush opacity on things you want lesser effects on)
It's more work but much cleaner. And the nice thing is that once you've got your mask you can play with the opacity level and apply layer adjustments just to the blurred background isolating the subject even better. I know editing others' images is a no-no, but we all know a picture is worth a thousand words, so this is what it looks like in Photoshop. I've done it enough that this is 2 minutes work and I could likely create an action to do steps 1-3, and if I was really smart 1-5 with a pause for me to set the amount of blur. LOL

Screenshot-2024-05-23-at-6.28.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you for that, Jake. And no problem with editing my pic.

I'm a Lightroom guy and not skilled at all in Photoshop. I had already softened the background of this pic in LR using its selection tools. The softening was subtle and more would help. LR has its limits and PS might be needed.

I have a doc file with instructions that I follow when I need to edit in PS. It's like a recipe book. Thanks for the detailed steps to fix this pic. I take opportunities like this to learn and add a new recipe to the book. So when I have time, I will follow your instructions.

Clearly the blur feature in LR isn't working well in this image, and manual intervention is needed. There is also a risk that the pic will start to look unnatural. I'll have to see how far I can go with it.

I had another go at Lens Blur. It can be made to work pretty good if you are willing to diddle with the settings. Previously LR wasn't able to do a good blur like a gaussian blur. Now with Lens Blur, that can be done, without having to go to PS.

Before
R7_D1585 Grackle.jpg
  • Canon EOS R7
  • 500.0 mm
  • ƒ/7.1
  • 1/640 sec
  • ISO 320

After, using Lens Blur in Lr
R7_D1585 Grackle-2.jpg
  • Canon EOS R7
  • 500.0 mm
  • ƒ/7.1
  • 1/640 sec
  • ISO 320

Looks really good. Thanks for posting. By the way thanks to Adobe, DXO, Topaz and the others for noise reduction. Thanks Adobe for blur. Us poor folk don't need to worry about how to buy big expensive fast lenses anymore. I've always wanted a 500mm f4 (or 600) but at my age I'm not so sure anymore. It's getting harder to hold up that kind of weight and today is as young as I'll ever be.

I'd be interested in a 500 or 600 f5.6.

There is still some messiness in the lower branches on the right. I should be able to fix that if I want.

You are right about heavy lenses. Same with me. I was eyeing the RF 600/4. What a nice lens, and would get you some respect. With a monopod, it would work. But not if you have to move any distance. And I'm almost always walking or ambling. So it would not work for me except if I stay put in a blind or other particular place. The RF 100-500 is around my limit for a couple/few hours of walking.

With software advancing, we can fix a couple stops of noise, and can now simulate fast lenses, sort of. No need any more for fast lenses, as long as they are fast enough to avoid noticeable diffraction. And even diffraction can be reduced by sharpening.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back