Followers
Following
Name
Tim
City/State
Shropshire
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
Canon has released firmware version 1.5.0 for both the R5 and R6.

For the R5 Firmware Version 1.5.0 incorporates the following enhancements and fixes:

1. Improves head detection performance to support helmets or goggles in winter sports.
2. Adds [Vehicles] selection to [Subject to detect] selection in the [AF] tab to support the detection of automobiles and motorcycles in motorsports. Adds [Spot detection] when [Vehicles] is selected as the helmet of the driver or rider*.
*Detection may not be possible for ordinary passenger cars or bicycles, or for motorcyclists performing stunts or kicking up dirt and dust.
3. Improves detection performance for eye detection when:
-there are shadows on the face.
-hair is hanging over the eyes.
4. Adds support for torso detection of a person. If the eyes, face or head are hidden or cannot be detected, a person's torso will be detected and tracked continuously.
5. Adds the ability to import manual white balance (MWB) data from the Quick Control screen when capturing still images.
6. Eliminates the center press operation of the multi-controller to prevent accidentally transferring images during FTP transfer.
7. Adds the ability, when using EOS Utility for remote shooting with two cards inserted, to set the recording method and to select which card to be recorded to.
8. Adds [Suppress lower frame rate] to [Smooth] in [Disp. performance], enabling the shooting screen to be displayed with less drop frame rate even in dark locations.
9. Adds support for the RF 5.2mm F2.8 L Dual Fisheye lens.
10. Changes the default value of [FTP server] → [Passive mode] to [Enable].
11. Improves operation stability during FTP transfer.
12. Optimizes controls of In-Body Image Stabilization (IBIS) when using specific EF lenses not equipped with the image stabilization function.
13. Fixes an issue, in which noise occurs along the edges of bright subjects when using Canon Log for movie recording.

The R6 receives the same enhancements and fixes, but support for the new RF 5.2mm F2.8 L Dual Fisheye lens has not been added.

Firmware Version 1.5.0 is for cameras with firmware up to Version 1.4.0. If the camera's firmware is already Version 1.5.0, it is not necessary to update the firmware.

R5 firmware can be downloaded from Canon's support sites. US / Europe
R6 firmware can be downloaded from Canon's support sites. US / Europe

Last edited:

For the R5 Firmware Version 1.5.0 incorporates the following enhancements and fixes:

1. Improves head detection performance to support helmets or goggles in winter sports.
2. Adds [Vehicles] selection to [Subject to detect] selection in the [AF] tab to support the detection of automobiles and motorcycles in motorsports. Adds [Spot detection] when [Vehicles] is selected as the helmet of the driver or rider*.
*Detection may not be possible for ordinary passenger cars or bicycles, or for motorcyclists performing stunts or kicking up dirt and dust.
4. Adds support for torso detection of a person. If the eyes, face or head are hidden or cannot be detected, a person's torso will be detected and tracked continuously.
5. Adds the ability to import manual white balance (MWB) data from the Quick Control screen when capturing still images.
6. Eliminates the center press operation of the multi-controller to prevent accidentally transferring images during FTP transfer.
7. Adds the ability, when using EOS Utility for remote shooting with two cards inserted, to set the recording method and to select which card to be recorded to.
8. Adds [Suppress lower frame rate] to [Smooth] in [Disp. performance], enabling the shooting screen to be displayed with less drop frame rate even in dark locations.
12. Optimizes controls of In-Body Image Stabilization (IBIS) when using specific EF lenses not equipped with the image stabilization function.
13. Fixes an issue, in which noise occurs along the edges of bright subjects when using Canon Log for movie recording.

The R6 receives the same enhancements and fixes, but support for the new RF 5.2mm F2.8 L Dual Fisheye lens has not been added.

Firmware Version 1.5.0 is for cameras with firmware up to Version 1.4.0. If the camera's firmware is already Version 1.5.0, it is not necessary to update the firmware.

Thanks for posting the details.

Interesting, I have never had issues with downloading updates, but can't get this one to work. It downloads onto my Mac ok and i can see it in finder, but "open" "open with" wont open the file. It just doesn't react when I click on it. Has anyone installed it yet?

Hi Timothy and thanks for the reminder and details.

Interesting, I have never had issues with downloading updates, but can't get this one to work. It downloads onto my Mac ok and i can see it in finder, but "open" "open with" wont open the file. It just doesn't react when I click on it. Has anyone installed it yet?
Worked OK on my Mac. Downloaded the Mac OS version and saved it to Downloads. Double clicked on the download and dragged the FIR file to a formatted SD card. I have to admit to a slight tense moment though when the update seemed to hang for about 30 seconds but it then updated to 1.5 without further ado.

It worked for me on my Mac. It should download a *.dmg file on your Mac. Double click this and it will open a folder to reveal the contents - one ending in *.fir and several PDFs in various languages.

It worked for me on my Mac. It should download a *.dmg file on your Mac. Double click this and it will open a folder to reveal the contents - one ending in *.fir and several PDFs in various languages.
Yeh, I have had no issues with previous updates doing just as you said. But this time I downloaded the .dng and double click or right click open or open with and it just won't open. I have deleted and downloaded again and even tried it on another Mac, but zilch.

Just installed the R5 v1.5 using W10. All seems to be OK.

I gather the R5 Firmware v1.5 has been pulled from the Canon UK and several other countries. On searching I found one comment on DPReview concerning
CF express card error when formatted.

Yeh, I have had no issues with previous updates doing just as you said. But this time I downloaded the .dng and double click or right click open or open with and it just won't open. I have deleted and downloaded again and even tried it on another Mac, but zilch.
It might not open a folder in the directory where you have downloaded it to, instead it will mount the DMG in both your Finder sidebar under locations and on your desktop. So check these locations to see if there's anything there. It's worked fine on my Mac OS 11.6

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back