New here from Virginia

dougsmit

Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Douglas Smith
I started in photography as a way to pay college expenses in the 60's and retired altogether in 2003 about the time I got my first Digital Rebel (300D). I probably own more different lenses and have taken photos with more of them just to see how they would do. In all honesty, the difference between most from film days and the EF-L lenses I have is usually less than can be demonstrated here given the 2048 pixel limit (which I consider very reasonable for online use). After all we are not making 20x30" prints here. Also there is the fact that I enjoy using the same lenses on my current camera that I used on view cameras 50 years ago. The difference is that back then the number of film holders I could carry would be exposed in a couple seconds by today's standards. We enjoy growing flowers and watching them eaten by deer and insects not to mention insects eating other insects. Macro is still a thrill to me. At one time I was very active in collecting ancient coins and have taken thousands of coin image both for me and for friends. I don't work for money so I do things my way. I remember all too well the days when the customer was always right (or not). These days it is mostly flowers and birds that drop by my place. I get more fun out of shooting weeds (especially macro using too many extension tubes and too small an aperture or focus stacking. I am no fan of bokeh blur and prefer sharp subjects. Perhaps I will live long enough to see that craze blow over; perhaps not. No matter, I'm here for fun.

Attachments

• 00piliated3999.jpg
    00piliated3999.jpg
    632.2 KB · Views: 38
  • 00ringneck6964s.jpg
    00ringneck6964s.jpg
    737 KB · Views: 41
  • 00assassin3770.jpg
    00assassin3770.jpg
    386.9 KB · Views: 38
  • 00coreopsis2893.jpg
    00coreopsis2893.jpg
    369.3 KB · Views: 32
  • 00darlot9562.jpg
    00darlot9562.jpg
    313.5 KB · Views: 36
  • 00fernspider7912.jpg
    00fernspider7912.jpg
    501.9 KB · Views: 32
  • 00ladyslipper8307.jpg
    00ladyslipper8307.jpg
    748.3 KB · Views: 31
  • 00peony3505.jpg
    00peony3505.jpg
    579 KB · Views: 59
  • 00weed6495.jpg
    00weed6495.jpg
    743.7 KB · Views: 52
  • 00daffodil5335can50.jpg
    00daffodil5335can50.jpg
    475.1 KB · Views: 59
Welcome and thank you again for joining up Douglas and introducing yourself to us! Your photos are beautiful and very colourful! When you get into macro photography you soon realise that there are an abundance of images to be created right under our noses! :) We've only recently moved to a new home and hope to slowly develop the garden to attract as much wildlife as possible. Luckily we are in the country so we do already have a lot of feathered visitors, they cost me a small fortune in bird food!

Thanks. I joined because you had the R7 manual post but when I got here it seemed that I am the only person not using the R5 which is one camera I can not see owning (I'd prefer both an R6 and R7 for the price and not have to deal with CF cards). I see interesting pictures but few people who would benefit from seeing mine.

Thanks. I joined because you had the R7 manual post but when I got here it seemed that I am the only person not using the R5 which is one camera I can not see owning (I'd prefer both an R6 and R7 for the price and not have to deal with CF cards). I see interesting pictures but few people who would benefit from seeing mine.
Most members here are shooting with the R5 and R6, whilst there are smaller numbers with the RP, R and R3. Once the R7 has landed in peoples hands I expect we will see this become a very popular camera around here and in other camera forums as well, but it is early days.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back