PKM-UK

Veteran Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Phil Moore
Images from a visit (in 2022) to Plas Newydd (‘new house’), near Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales.

(Shot raw and processed using: DxO PhotoLab Elite/ ViewPoint and Adobe Lightroom Classic/ Photoshop).

You can find out more about Plas Newydd by clicking Here and Rex Whistler by clicking Here.

Phil and Karen

1. Plas Newydd is set in gardens, parkland and woodland on the north bank of the Menai Strait, and enjoys views over the strait and nearby Snowdonia.

RF-S-PN-1.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF24-105mm F4 L IS USM
  • 42.0 mm
  • ƒ/10
  • 1/1000 sec
  • ISO 320

2. The building has its origins in 1470, evolving to become one of Anglesey's principal residences. The National Trust has owned Plas Newydd since 1976.

RF-S-PN-2.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF24-105mm F4 L IS USM
  • 24.0 mm
  • ƒ/10
  • 1/1000 sec
  • ISO 125

3. A similar filing system to the one we use at home...

RF-S-PN-3.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF16mm F2.8 STM
  • 16.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/125 sec
  • ISO 6400

4. The artist Rex Whistler, born in 1905, first visited Plas Newydd at Easter in 1936. Seen here is a recently discovered theatre backdrop he painted.

RF-S-PN-4.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF16mm F2.8 STM
  • 16.0 mm
  • ƒ/2.8
  • 1/125 sec
  • ISO 2000

5. That same April he was commissioned to paint a mural in the Dining Room. At 58 x 17 feet it's Whistler’s largest painting. (And it is absolutely amazing!).

RF-S-PN-5.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF16mm F2.8 STM
  • 16.0 mm
  • ƒ/2.8
  • 1/125 sec
  • ISO 1250

6. The mural was never fully finished - Rex was killed on his first day of active duty in Normandy, France, on 18 July 1944, after he left his tank to go to the aid of other men in his unit.

RF-S-PN-6.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF24-105mm F4 L IS USM
  • 50.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/125 sec
  • ISO 500

(Sources: The National Trust, Wikipedia).

Last edited:
Beautiful images Phil and Karen. That mural is definitely amazing!

Beautiful images Phil and Karen. That mural is definitely amazing!
Hi Tim,

Cheers - much appreciated!

(If anyone visits Plas Newydd, I'd definitely recommend catching the talk on the mural as this highlights the various perspective 'tricks' and clever details).

Phil

I see the perspectives look really good with all your recent posts. I'm guessing you are using DXO Viewpoint?

I see the perspectives look really good with all your recent posts. I'm guessing you are using DXO Viewpoint?
Hi Only RF,

Yes, for perspective corrections I usually rely on DxO ViewPoint (generally via PhotoLab Elite, but occasionally via LrC/ Photoshop), sometimes I'll use just LrC, or maybe a combination of the two. I'm still 'gathering speed' on the perspective correction thing, so occasional wonkiness still applies... :)

Phil

Hi Only RF,

Yes, for perspective corrections I usually rely on DxO ViewPoint (generally via PhotoLab Elite, but occasionally via LrC/ Photoshop), sometimes I'll use just LrC, or maybe a combination of the two. I'm still 'gathering speed' on the perspective correction thing, so occasional wonkiness still applies... :)

Phil
It does a really nice job. I tried it once.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back