Dave Williams

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Dave Williams
One of the features I like about the R5 is you can file protect individual shots in camera then go to the blue menu and erase all images except the protected ones. That has been around for a long time but what hasn't is the option to then unprotect all images on the card which is great because I don't want to store my images in the computer as protected files.
My problem is that if I forget to unprotect them is there anyway of removing the protection other than loading them back on the camera card and using the camera to do so?
TIA
Dave

From what I understand, and I could be wrong, since the protection feature only prevents the user from deleting the images from the card using the camera, you can simply plug the card into a card reader and then delete the images using the computer/smartphone etc. This works for images from my EOS R. I don't have an R5, so I can't verify with that camera.

From what I understand, and I could be wrong, since the protection feature only prevents the user from deleting the images from the card using the camera, you can simply plug the card into a card reader and then delete the images using the computer/smartphone etc. This works for images from my EOS R. I don't have an R5, so I can't verify with that camera.
Thanks for replying Bryan but you misunderstood the question. I want to unprotect the images stored on the computer external hard drives not delete them.

I think you can only unprotect images with the camera. Even Canon DPP does not recognize that the images from my EOS R are protected.

I am curious, do you plan on copying the images back to a memory card and inserting the memory card back into the camera? If yes, may I ask why?

You can unprotect them by copying them to a memory card, then do so in the camera, then delete the original on the hard drive and replace but it’s very tedious. Why do I need to unprotect? Because I’m trying to put all my images on a single hard drive and if during the copying the computer finds a protected one it seems to stop copying.

That is strange. I am able to copy my EOS R protected images from one hard drive to another without a problem on my Windows 11 pc.

I just looked at the properties of the protected images and they are marked as "Read-only". The unprotected images are NOT marked "Read-only". So maybe you could select all of the images you wish to copy, right click on one and select properties, and click the "Read-only" box until it is empty. Maybe that would work.

Thanks Bryan, I’ll take a look later. I use a Mac but shouldn’t make a difference I shouldn’t think.

I have discovered that what is stopping the copy of multiple folders isn't the protected image but where a folder contains two images with the same name but the jpg tag being one lower case the other upper case. Not sure how this came about but we are going back a while since the images were created.I think it might be something to do with converting CR2 files to DNA then to jpegs.
I'm going through the folders and deleting all the jpegs to save space and in due course re edit them using better processing and improved ability than I had back when they were taken.

Good to hear that you figured it out.

I was wrong!
Having the file protected does present a problem when trying to copy lots of folders, it grinds to a halt until the offending file is unprotected.

To unprotect is, I have discovered, simple as long as there is only one file involved. They have to be opened individually and the relevant box unticked. If you have multiple files its a nightmare!
Screenshot 2023-01-30 at 13.33.48 copy.jpg

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back