Followers
Following
Name
Dean Wilson
City/State
Canby, Oregon
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
I have never installed a camera strap for my R-series camera, but have installed L-Brackets.

So I carry my camera in one hand while hiking for hours at a time with my 40L Mindshift on my back. After the last few days hiking with my 100-500mm attached I am seriously thinking of a quick release for my camera bag.

The obvious option is a Peak Design V3.

But on a FB forum someone recommended a Falcam F38 V2, but in the reviews on Amazon one person states: "Unfortunately it is not arca Swiss compatible...Careful with large lenses if you have the falcam mount attached to the camera, as this will put a lot of pressure on your lens mount." while another reviewer: "I think this could work for some photographers with a small camera."

Those comments in and by themselves, if true, would remove it from my list of choices.

What are your recommendation?

349793718_7088872324459447_9012752287070951764_n.jpg

Saw your post on FB and wondering if the Peak Design Slide (not slide lite) would work for you. I don't think as far as you (yet) but when I carry it like the second video in promo video (link below) I hardly know the camera is there. Bulk of weight is on far shoulder and right hand used to keep camera steady while walking. Also very easy to slide up to take the shot and yes, I always have an L-bracket on my R5. Just a thought.

FYI. Dean I have used the Peak Design Capture Clip for the last year. I like it a lot. Used it for hiking in Cornwall, England and the Algarve in Portugal plus every time I go out here at home. My gear is not nearly as big as yours (Canon R7 with 55-250mm) and smaller lenses. I do have to put a couple of elastic bands on the 55-250 to stop lens creep while walking.

I'm a fan of Peak Design Sling (not lite). I'll carry it like this all day.

I also have a PD Lite which I bought first by mistake. It's a long story. Sometimes I have a body and 100-500 on the Sling and another body and 24-105 on the Lite. I connect the body and 24-105 the body strap mounts. I don't this often but once but there are times.

Another alternative is Cotton Carrier Vest. For hiking with something as heavy as 100-500, you'd want to center and balance the load. Whenever I'm hiking with any lens, including 100-500, CCV is what I rely on.

Another alternative is Cotton Carrier Vest. For hiking with something as heavy as 100-500, you'd want to center and balance the load. Whenever I'm hiking with any lens, including 100-500, CCV is what I rely on.
I had a serious look at that system but decided decided to go with a shoulder strap.

I use a shoulder strap for my R5/RF 100-500 when I'm not hiking. I once used just a shoulder strap on a 2-hour hike, and I deeply regretted it afterwards. While young and strong, this might not seemingly make any difference, but as you get older you pay the price eventually. Except on short shooting sessions, I never carry anything around my neck, hand or shoulder.

I use a shoulder strap for my R5/RF 100-500 when I'm not hiking. I once used just a shoulder strap on a 2-hour hike, and I deeply regretted it afterwards. While young and strong, this might not seemingly make any difference, but as you get older you pay the price eventually. Except on short shooting sessions, I never carry anything around my neck, hand or shoulder.
Makes sense.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back