Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Greg Sinclair
City/State
Telford
I tried to focus through the fence without success. I know I could have done it manually.

Have I missed a menu option that overcomes wire fences?

The attached picture shows the fence.

Attachments

• IMGL2255.JPG
    IMGL2255.JPG
    972.3 KB · Views: 57
Unless you are closer to the fence, it's not going to work. The holes are too close and thick. I'm sure your lens just hunts and hunts!

At the time it was set to eye tracking and I did not have time to look too deep at the settings to see if it were possible to auto focus through the fence

No hunting, just loads of focusing points

OH! Unfortunately, that will cause the camera confusion because the fence is closer. First, it will search for the nearest subject, then determine if it has a head, then determine if it has eyes. I can only imagine you seeing nothing but tiny blue moving squares!

😅 exactly that 😅

The focusing was just something I noticed during the day, the aim of which had nothing to with the girl beyond the fence. I was photographing horse and carriages going up the track.

I totally understand. I haven't found much use for the tracking yet, although I have used it for portrait work from a distance. As for sports...nope! At least, I need to play with it more. The problem I had was wanting to stay focused on a specific player, but the tracking not really caring so much. I mean...it did wat it was supposed to do, but wasn't something I have found useful yet.

Animal tracking, however, shooting birds worked out quite well!

The horses I photographed all worked out well. The amazing thing the horses had blinkers. Somehow the camera locked onto the eye when head on and when the horse past by me it was impossible to see the eye and the camera carried on but locked on the the blinker.

Going back to the fence. Maybe I need the R3, that uses your own eye to tell the camera where to focus

Last edited:
Nice!

I don't have the arm and leg to spend on the R3. I remember that my Canon Elan IIe (film camera) had AF set up with my eye. It was pretty nice.

I cannot justify an R3 either

I wonder if our R cameras will get auto eye focus with a firmware update 🤔. Can but wish

I think that the Canon "Marketeers" will not update our cameras to include eye focusing. They keep it special and add demand by sticking with the R3.

Wish...we can do! I will add that to my "if I win the lotto list!"

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back