Extenders R5 with 100-500R+1.4x

View Latest Canon RF Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

I have used the 1.4 several times and been very happy with it. Of course F10 requires higher ISO to keep shutter speeds up. I often use Auto ISO and cap it at 12,800 and use Topaz DeNoise AI to clean up if necessary. Here is a sample.
R5 2021-02-17-5704.jpg

I really appreciate the light weight and portability of this lens and R5 combination. The IQ is superb and the files leave a huge opportunity to crop.This shot is taken at about 6-7m distance and it's a small bird so you can easily crop to 100%. However, the more you crop the more you will see noise appearing even at fairly low ISO values of around 3200. I have found Topaz does an admirable job at cleaning up this really fine noise but I don't want to stray in to high values because removing noise comes at the cost of removing detail from my experience. With the lens fully extended you are shooting at f10 so good light is a big bonus. At f10 you find the background bokeh might not be a pleasing as it might otherwise be but if you are lucky enough to have a degree of background separation then it's not a problem. Wildlife doesn't perform on command but choosing your spot to shoot from helps improve the chances!
For the record, this shot is ISO 2000, 1/2000th f10. No PP whatsoever, just reduction in file size for posting!
Chiffchaff .jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF100-500mm F4.5-7.1 L IS USM + EXTENDER RF1.4x
  • 700.0 mm
  • ƒ/10
  • 1/2000 sec
  • ISO 2000

Here's an example that is not out to 700mm. I was using our guide's R5 with the 100-500 and 1.4. After 10 minutes of shooting with this combo, I knew I was changing systems.
_5MT6120.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF100-500mm F4.5-7.1 L IS USM + EXTENDER RF1.4x
  • 420.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/2500 sec
  • ISO 1000

I really appreciate the light weight and portability of this lens and R5 combination. The IQ is superb and the files leave a huge opportunity to crop.This shot is taken at about 6-7m distance and it's a small bird so you can easily crop to 100%. However, the more you crop the more you will see noise appearing even at fairly low ISO values of around 3200. I have found Topaz does an admirable job at cleaning up this really fine noise but I don't want to stray in to high values because removing noise comes at the cost of removing detail from my experience. With the lens fully extended you are shooting at f10 so good light is a big bonus. At f10 you find the background bokeh might not be a pleasing as it might otherwise be but if you are lucky enough to have a degree of background separation then it's not a problem. Wildlife doesn't perform on command but choosing your spot to shoot from helps improve the chances!
For the record, this shot is ISO 2000, 1/2000th f10. No PP whatsoever, just reduction in file size for posting!View attachment 1141
What would you say is the weight difference from a DSLR with the 100-400mm+1.4x as compared to the R5 with the 100-500mmR +1.4x?

What would you say is the weight difference from a DSLR with the 100-400mm+1.4x as compared to the R5 with the 100-500mmR +1.4x?
It's not huge but it's noticeable. Both are lightweight compared to my 500mm f4 Mk2 and 1.4TC combination. The 100-400 of course doesn't match the reach of the other two and if that is important the 100-500 is a better choice over the 100-400.

View Latest Canon RF Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back