Canon R6 I R6 HIF Files

splreece1978

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Stephen Reece
hi all.... sorry but after 2 months of trying different things i am at a loss now... the images files are HIF files (in camera).

i have an r6 (new), and around 8k of high quality lenses... i have a new win11 laptop, fully updated and have never been able to view any images i've taken with the r6...

the only workaround is to do the in camera conversion but that is causing havoc with quality control and timing the workflow.

is there anything i can do ....

- tried installing codec
- tried installing DPP
- tried installing fresh heic viewers.....

nothing is working

You can convert Heif files to Jpeg in camera. Blue menu 3. If it's the same menu as the R5.
Why not shoot in RAW? I must admit I have no knowledge of Heif, I personally use CRAW which produces smaller files than RAW but still pretty big. Adobe CC and DPP both open the files on my Mac but it is running Apple's latest operating programme.

OK, so just reading your question and the responses caused me to get a quick education on what HEIF is and why someone would want to use it instead of JPEG, and I get it, so I'm not going to ask the why question.

What I don't know is what software you are using? I know you said you tried DPP, and you said you've downloaded CODECs, but in a Canon support article it seems to imply that DPP will only work with HEIF files if a specific HEVC Codec (though when I go there it only lists the Canon R and not the R6 or R5). Lightroom says it supports HEIF files, but again we don't know what you're using.

A little more information can go a long way. What's your normal post processing thread look like and where is it breaking? I'm assuming Windows won't assign an application to the extension but Microsoft states that their Photos app should read it natively. I know I may just be throwing stuff at you that you've tried, but without more info it's what I've got.

hi all.... sorry but after 2 months of trying different things i am at a loss now... the images files are HIF files (in camera).

i have an r6 (new), and around 8k of high quality lenses... i have a new win11 laptop, fully updated and have never been able to view any images i've taken with the r6...

the only workaround is to do the in camera conversion but that is causing havoc with quality control and timing the workflow.

is there anything i can do ....

- tried installing codec
- tried installing DPP
- tried installing fresh heic viewers.....

nothing is working
I went to the MS store and installed the free "Raw Image Extension". Once installed I can view the RAW files

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back