Blue Jay2.jpg
    369.2 KB · Views: 66
  • House Finch.jpg
    House Finch.jpg
    211 KB · Views: 60
  • Mourning Dove.jpg
    Mourning Dove.jpg
    336.9 KB · Views: 65
The more images i see from Rf 800 f/11 the more im hunting for a used one to use on R6ii

Last edited:
The more images i see from Rf 800 f/11 the moe im hunting for a used one to use on R6ii
I paid a whole lot more for the RF 100-500, yet it's been sitting in my dark basement unused as I've been favoring the RF 800 for my bird photography. As far as IQ goes, both yield identical results under a decent lighting condition. Definitely worth getting if you're into wildlife/bird photography.

I paid a whole lot more for the RF 100-500, yet it's been sitting in my dark basement unused as I've been favoring the RF 800 for my bird photography. As far as IQ goes, both yield identical results under a decent lighting condition. Definitely worth getting if you're into wildlife/bird photography.
That is an interesting revelation. I've been researching (and saving) for the RF 100-500 and wondering if it is worth the price in relation to other alternatives, like the RF 800 or the RF 600. Clearly, I need to broaden my research. Thanks for the input.

That is an interesting revelation. I've been researching (and saving) for the RF 100-500 and wondering if it is worth the price in relation to other alternatives, like the RF 800 or the RF 600. Clearly, I need to broaden my research. Thanks for the input.
The only commonality the RF 100-500 and the RF 800 f/11 share is their identical sharpness. Other than that, we're comparing apples to oranges. While I've been favoring the 800 f/11 for my bird photography, particularly for small birds, over the 100-500, it's the latter that I'd take for anything that'd require versatility in that focal length, for example, larger birds, BIF, and animals. Add the 1.4x to even a greater versatility, the combo is what I'd take on my next trip to the Yellowstone or an Africa Safari. For my wildlife and bird photography, I consider all three lenses -- RF 100-500, RF 800 f/11, RF 1.4x -- to be essential and worth having. If you only shoot mostly small to medium sized birds -- finches, chickadees, jays, etc. -- where the reach is of prime value, then the RF 800 is a better choice over the 100-500 or the 600. Even with the RF 800, I typically shoot from about 35 feet away from the subject and still find myself cropping in post. With the 100-500 from the same distance, a lot more cropping is involved which can compromise the IQ. I upgraded my camera to R5 simply for better crop-ability but it can only help you so much with the reach challenge in bird photography. Comparing the RF 100-500 and the RF 800 is comparing the versatility and the reach. What to get depends on what you need more.

The more images i see from Rf 800 f/11 the more im hunting for a used one to use on R6ii
New ones are on sale right now if I'm not mistaken.

so i already have the 1.4 converter and RF100-500, but am interested in the 800mm for that extra bit of reach. My question is whether the lens being f11 without converter and f13 with is a problem? Anybody's experience with this set up for wildlife/birds would be greatly appreciated.

I've found 700 mm f/10 (RF100–500 + 1.4extender) difficult to use for birds in flight. I just can't keep the little fellows in the viewfinder!

I wonder whether 1120 mm f/13 (RF 800 + 1.4 extender) would prove near-impossible for me to use.

For the moment, I'm saving my money and am relying on LrC, DxO PureRAW 3 and Topaz Photo AI to get me out of trouble. (Click for examples of 500 mm BIF images at around 50 metres.)

• R5 with following default settings:
  • drive : 20 frames/second
  • shutter : manual : 1/2000s
  • aperture : manual : max
  • ISO : auto

Last edited:
so i already have the 1.4 converter and RF100-500, but am interested in the 800mm for that extra bit of reach. My question is whether the lens being f11 without converter and f13 with is a problem? Anybody's experience with this set up for wildlife/birds would be greatly appreciated.

I've found 700 mm f/10 (RF100–500 + 1.4extender) difficult to use for birds in flight. I just can't keep the little fellows in the viewfinder!

I wonder whether 1120 mm f/13 (RF 800 + 1.4 extender) would prove near-impossible for me to use.

For the moment, I'm saving my money and am relying on LrC, DxO PureRAW 3 and Topaz Photo AI to get me out of trouble. (Click for examples of 500 mm BIF images at around 50 metres.)

• R5 with following default settings:
  • electronic shutter : 20 frames/second
  • Tv : manual : 1/2000s
  • Av : manual : max
  • ISO : auto
I've had good success with the 800/1.4x @1120mm f/16, just not as many keepers compared to just the 800 without the extender. The key to the combo's usability is the light condition. As long as there's enough light that the ISO level can be handled satisfactorily with a denoiser in post, the IQ out of the combo is just as good as out of the 800 without the extender. I capped my ISO not to exceed 6400, and if the lighting condition calls for higher ISO, then I quit shooting. The use of the combo therefore pretty much rules out its use during sunrise and sunset when the ISO level is at 12800 and higher. You can certainly deal with such high ISO with some success with a denoiser in post, but I prefer not to bother myself battling any image noise at such level.

Remember, too, longer the focal length, more susceptible to atmospheric distortion the combo will be. I pick and choose not only the lighting condition but also the scenery and the background to avoid having to deal with some of the unpleasant aspects of shooting at 1120mm. When the condition is good, then the combo can become an asset.

I don't bother using the combo for BIF. With it on Gimbal, and with a good tracking technique, I'm sure you can come up with some success. I've done BIF with the 800 without the extender with good success, but for BIF my go to combo is the RF 100-500/1.4x for versatility.

In most cases of shooting bird portraits, the 800 alone suffices, so that's what I've been using for the most part. When a situation calls for the 800/1.4x, then I don't hesitate to employ the combo. For my use for bird/wildlife, it's great having all three lenses: 100-500, 800 and 1.4xTC.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back