Extenders RF extender or RF 600/800 primes?

View Latest Canon RF Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

guydunnuk

Newcomer
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Guy Dunn
City/State
Stoke-On-Trent
So would it be better to just buy the RF600/800 or get a 1.4 or 2X Extender to pair with the 100-500? How good are the RF extenders? Thoughts?

Actually the 800mm f11 becomes a 1120mm f15, but yeah, it's still an issue - though you can do it in good light.

I've been shooting with the 100-500mm w/ 1.4x TC this week and while you're at 700mm on the long end I would put the image quality above that of the 800mm f11, and not just by a little bit. I have the 800mm and shoot a lot of small birds and I find the feather detail to be better with the zoom+TC than I do with the 800mm. And while the aperture is still not as small as I'd like I can still shoot at less than f11. If you have the 100-500mm I would invest in the TC. If you don't, then you have to make the determination on how much more you want to spend to get a little better.

Not for nothing, but the other option is the R7 which turns the 100-500mm into a 160-800mm at f7.1 on the long end with no loss of quality. There are limitations to the sensor and buffer, but depending on what you're shooting if reach is all you want this gives it to you without loss of quality or MP's (compared to cropped mode on the R5).

View Latest Canon RF Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back