Extenders RF 1.4/2x extender with EF lenses?

View Latest Canon RF Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

TZwieback

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Thorsten
City/State
Dartmoor, UK
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
Hi all,

I'm currently using my Sigma 70-200mm EF mount lens with a Sigma 2x extender and the RF/EF adapter.
[Camera] - [RF/EF adapter] - [EF extender ] - [EF lens]

This made me wonder, can you use an RF extender with EF lenses?
[Camera] - [RF extender ] - [RF/EF adapter] - [EF lens]

And what would happen if you tried
[Camera] - [RF extender ] - [RF/EF adapter] - [EF extender] - [EF lens] ?

You can, but you have to modify the RF/EF adapter, the 3rd party Commlite version reportedly requires the least grinding and filing of the baffle.

You can, but you have to modify the RF/EF adapter, the 3rd party Commlite version reportedly requires the least grinding and filing of the baffle.
I was thinking of buying the RF extender. I have already an R5, a Canon 2X series 3 extender, the Canon RF-EF mount and numerous EF lenses from Canon and Sigma. I am curious as to why I would need to modify the RF/EF adapter. If the extender is going in between the camera and the RF/EF adapter where is the issue? I am able to use Thorstens combination of [Camera] - [RF/EF adapter] - [EF extender ] - [EF lens], with nearly all my lenses. I also have a Kenko 2X Teleplus Pro 300 extender which doesn't have the protrusion on the front like the Canon. I use it when my lenses don't allow the Canon to fit, eg the EF macro 100/2.8, which is the combo on my R5 right now. To get around the issue of the Canon 2X extender front protrusion I also use a 20mm macro extension tube and my EF 100 macro fits straight on with no issues. Autofocus and all work well.

Last edited:
Camera—RF extender—RF/EF adapter—EF lens
TZ…

I have all of the Canon components listed above and can answer with certainty:
  • The Canon RF Extender cannot be joined to the Canon RF/EF Adapter.

Modify the RF/EF adapter (by) grinding and filing the baffle.
That sounds interesting, but don't go anywhere near that option unless you have advanced skills in precision machining.

I have no idea whether the resulting assemblage would be optically acceptable. Comments?

… David

Last edited:
TZ…

I have all of the Canon components listed above and can answer with certainty:
  • The Canon RF Extender cannot be joined to the Canon RF/EF Adapter.

That sounds interesting, but don't go anywhere near that option unless you have advanced skills in precision machining.

I have no idea whether the resulting assemblage would be optically acceptable. Comments?

… David
Can you not fit an RF macro extension tube in between the RF extender and the RF/EF adapter as I do with my EF 2X extender to match with my EF 100/2.8 macro otherwise the protrusion on the front of my extender won't allow it to fit the EF 100.

Can you fit an RF macro extension tube between the RF extender and the RF/EF adapter?
Kerro …

Like the following?
  • R-series cameraRF 1.4/2 X tele extenderRF macro extension tubeRF/EF adapterEF lens
Perhaps, these could be coupled together—hopefully, without having to machine and file the inside of the macro extension tube.

But, would it work? For example, could you use focus bracketing?

From what I've seen, macro photographers and, especially, videographers (probably funded by the BBC) revel in outdoing W. Heath Robinson in cobbling together all sorts of contrivances! Siri, Google and YouTube should offer assistance in tracking them down!

… David

Kerro …

Like the following?
  • R-series cameraRF 1.4/2 X tele extenderRF macro extension tubeRF/EF adapterEF lens
Perhaps, these could be coupled together—hopefully, without having to machine and file the inside of the macro extension tube.

But, would it work? For example, could you use focus bracketing?

From what I've seen, macro photographers and, especially, videographers (probably funded by the BBC) revel in outdoing W. Heath Robinson in cobbling together all sorts of contrivances! Siri, Google and YouTube should offer assistance in tracking them down!

… David
David as per your combination, I don't see a problem as the issue is the protrusion on the extender which the correct length extension tube negates. I do believe after doing some internet research that the tube does give some magnification but does not allow focus to infinity, which I don't have an issue with as the only lens I have a problem with is my EF 100/2.8 macro. I understand the protrusion on the RF 1.4/2 X extenders is about 16mm so an extension tube over 16mm should work.
  • Could anyone out there verify this would work as I don't have an RF converter.
  • And no machining required.
My combination is
  • R5-RF/EF Converter-EF 2X extender-EF ext Tube-EF 100 Macro lens. All I lose is infinity focus.

rfext-efmacro.jpg

View attachment 20097

David, I won't be trying this hack anytime soon. My biggest concern would be taking too much off the plastic ( and that picture is not exactly precision machining) and exposing the contacts and any missed small particles of plastic getting into the camera body. I would rather stay with my EF versions which I know work with no modifications. Besides, I am getting too old to replace my EF lenses with the RF's.

I'm with you - I've fallen back into love with EF glass.

I sold off my old EF/EF-S lenses (EF 75-300 and EF-S 17-55 f/2.8) when I got my R7 and bought a bunch of inexpensive Canon RF primes (16 f/2.8, 24M1.8, 35M1.8, 50 f/1.8 and 85M2) and the RF 100-400 birding lens, which I returned to get the RF 70-200f4L.

Then I saw the EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM and fell in love. It's sharper than the RF 70-200 at 200 and a stop faster. The R7's IBIS gives the lens IS! Added the EF 1.4 III extender for a 280 f/4 birding lens. I can hand hold these beasts at 1/half the focal length thanks to IBIS. Got enough on the 70-200f4L to pay for the 200 f/2.8 rig.

In anticipation of the RF-S 10-18 I sold off my EF-S version of that lens - then decided my RF 16 is really all I need.

After an evening shooting an event with my primes, changing lenses constantly, I bought the EF 24-70 f/2.8L and sold off my 24 and 35. I'll sell the 85 in January after the annual Canon lens sale ends.

View Latest Canon RF Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back