PKM-UK

Veteran Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Phil Moore
I was working through some of our shots from the weekend (as you do) and veered off on one of my 'workflow comparisons for a bit of a laugh' exercises -

(a). Lightroom Classic -> raw via plug-in -> DxO PhotoLab Elite (initial processing, including colour rendering/ lens profile and DeepPRIME XD noise reduction) -> DNG -> Lightroom Classic (tweaks and crop).
(b). Lightroom Classic (initial processing) -> TIFF -> Topaz Labs Photo AI (noise reduction/ sharpening) -> TIFF -> Lightroom Classic (tweaks and crop).

(I know I could have sent the raw file to Photo AI from Lr C via plug-in, but on this occasion chose not to).

Thing is, which is which? Both look fine to me - so my only conclusion is, we have some great software available to us. (And, what a little cutie... :D ).

Phil

The usual screen capture limitations apply -

RF-SE-1.jpg

To my eye when pixel peeking on a big monitor, the one on the left looks a snad (tech term) better.

Hi RedCobra,

Interesting! - Thank you for taking the time to have a closer look and provide feedback.

I'll hold back to see if anyone else wants to voice any comments and will reveal which is which is a little while... :)

Phil

(PS. I like 'snad' - I'd usually use smidge, or tad).

Last edited:
Robin vs Robin.jpg

I like the one on the left more. They are very close to each other in quality and it was hard for me to define why I liked the left more than the right at my first look. The areas I circled above are places where there is a bit more detail/contrast or something that makes the image better in my opinion.

View attachment 14572

I like the one on the left more. They are very close to each other in quality and it was hard for me to define why I liked the left more than the right at my first look. The areas I circled above are places where there is a bit more detail/contrast or something that makes the image better in my opinion.
Hi Bryan,

Thank you too for taking the time to study the images in detail and for marking up the areas of interest (the result of which is that I've been staring intently at various bits of two GIGANTIC robins for the last few minutes... :D ).

Interesting stuff - that's 2 votes for the left robin so far! To give people from different time-zones a chance to have a look and comment - should they wish, I'll do the reveal thing tomorrow morning (UK time).

Phil

As promised - the version on the left (in purple) used workflow (a) Lr C -> DxO PL -> Lr C, which is my typical/ preferred workflow.

(The final jpg is below - for information).

Thank you once again for the feedback.

Phil

RF-SR-1.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF100-500mm F4.5-7.1 L IS USM
  • 500.0 mm
  • ƒ/7.1
  • 1/500 sec
  • ISO 400

As promised - the version on the left (in purple) used workflow (a) Lr C -> DxO PL -> Lr C, which is my typical/ preferred workflow.

(The final jpg is below - for information).

Thank you once again for the feedback.

Phil

View attachment 14595
Yep, that's my workflow too.

I liked the one on the left like the others, however, I would have been happy with either. Thanks for comparison. I learn a lot from these sort of posts.

I liked the one on the left like the others, however, I would have been happy with either. Thanks for comparison. I learn a lot from these sort of posts.
Hi Kepa,

Cheers - appreciated! (I'd have been very happy with either too... :) ).

I hope to put a few more of these comparison type posts up as we go along (I tend to do stuff like this every now and then, partly to break things up - but also to check I'm still doing the right things).

Phil

Hi, Phil, I like both as they are. Enough that I felt no need to view at 100% or even at 50%! I would be happy with either one.

Cathy

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back