Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Bruce Weinberg
City/State
Mandeville, Louisiana
Yesterday I was out photographing birds and took both the R5 and 1DX Mii, with the R5 being my primary camera. I had EF600mm f4L Mii on the R5 with 1.4x Miii extender, and EF100-400 mm f4.5-5.6L ii on the 1DX. Wow, what a difference!

When I shot with the 1DX I felt like I was driving a 4 cylinder 1975 car vs a 2021 turbo charged sports car. The 1DX seemed so slow - even moving my focus point and I became increasingly frustrated that I couldn’t move the focus point anywhere I wanted.

While I love the feel of my 1DX Mii and it’s definitely durable, I suspect I’ll continue feeling like I’m shooting with ancient technology (I guess it is ancient in technology years). I’ve been looking forward to having a second body with me as I hate changing lenses in the field, especially with the 600mm and a RF adapter.

that’s the end of my rant - wondering if anyone else has experienced this? Do I save up and buy another R5 or R6? (Ive thought about the R3, but I’d rather buy new glass than spend that on another body. I know, definitely first world problems.

I'm holding out for the R7 for my second body. I have a R5

I went ahead and bought a 2nd R5 and sold my 1DX Mark II body. I now have 2 same camera bodies for the first time. It is wonderful.
The R5 does everything that I need and the price jump to the R3 is enough that I cannot afford 2 of those bodies.

Yesterday I was out photographing birds and took both the R5 and 1DX Mii, with the R5 being my primary camera. I had EF600mm f4L Mii on the R5 with 1.4x Miii extender, and EF100-400 mm f4.5-5.6L ii on the 1DX. Wow, what a difference!

When I shot with the 1DX I felt like I was driving a 4 cylinder 1975 car vs a 2021 turbo charged sports car. The 1DX seemed so slow - even moving my focus point and I became increasingly frustrated that I couldn’t move the focus point anywhere I wanted.

While I love the feel of my 1DX Mii and it’s definitely durable, I suspect I’ll continue feeling like I’m shooting with ancient technology (I guess it is ancient in technology years). I’ve been looking forward to having a second body with me as I hate changing lenses in the field, especially with the 600mm and a RF adapter.

that’s the end of my rant - wondering if anyone else has experienced this? Do I save up and buy another R5 or R6? (Ive thought about the R3, but I’d rather buy new glass than spend that on another body. I know, definitely first world problems.
I have a similar dilemma. Unfortunately have a problem with the R5, am hoping you can help. The high speed continuos shooting option is grayed out. Using canon lens and the adapter to R5. Do you have any idea what the problem is?

I have a similar dilemma. Unfortunately have a problem with the R5, am hoping you can help. The high speed continuos shooting option is grayed out. Using canon lens and the adapter to R5. Do you have any idea what the problem is?
Is your battery fully charged? As power decreases with battery use, high speed continuous shooting is not available. Are you using Canon OEM batteries?

Most if not all EF canon cannot use the high speed continuous shooting, my R6 and EF 135mm L2 shoots like 3-5 shots continuous no more!

Most if not all EF canon cannot use the high speed continuous shooting, my R6 and EF 135mm L2 shoots like 3-5 shots continuous no more!
I’ve not had that issue and I shoot all EF glass

Back to the original post and question.
Why do you need two bodies and lenses side by side? Presumably for subjects that are closer than the 850mm you have with the 600mmf4 plus 1.4TC?
How often does that happen?
Depends on the type of photography you are doing.
I'm primarily into wildlife, and being the UK, it's mainly birds.
The only reason I have kept my 5d4 is as a back-up in case my R5 fails.
The 5D4 does still perform extremely well but I wish I had sold that instead of selling my 1DX2. Too late now! I too find it frustrating the fact that the R5 is so far ahead in so many attributes BUT the 5D4 still beats the R5 hands down on start up time and focus acquisition when it comes to a small bird in a leafy bush.
I have considered replacing the 5D4 with an R6 but then wonder what I'd gain from doing so because to be honest I rarely , in fact virtually never, am in a situation where I have needed side by side camera and lenses. I'd be spending on something I don't need.
Your situation and usage may well be different and you are often somewhere that is suitable for using two set ups side by side.
If not I would just sit tight and see how things develop. Despite the fact it might seem like a dinosaur it's a very capable camera still, especially for close up work where little cropping is involved and the lower pixel count doesn't make a difference. It still creates stunning images with less noise than the R5...it's just getting them can be a bit clumsier now you have that ability to move the focus point with ease and right across the whole of the screen.
I empathise with your frustrations, and share them too but I'd sell the 100-400 and buy the RF 100-500 before investing in another body.

I did but can't decide if I should sell my 100-400!
The 100-500 with a 1.4TC becomes 420-700 mm so it makes sense to keep both, have the 5D4 on the 100-400, the R5 on the 100-500 plus TC.
I'm going on a safari holiday next year and it's the only time I can think of where the combination might be useful.

I used to own both the 600mm f4 Mk2 and 500mm f4 Mk at the same time and decided to sell the 600. I have no regrets and rarely use the 500 now too.

Decisions, decisions!

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back