Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Bruce Weinberg
City/State
Mandeville, Louisiana
Yesterday I was out photographing birds and took both the R5 and 1DX Mii, with the R5 being my primary camera. I had EF600mm f4L Mii on the R5 with 1.4x Miii extender, and EF100-400 mm f4.5-5.6L ii on the 1DX. Wow, what a difference!

When I shot with the 1DX I felt like I was driving a 4 cylinder 1975 car vs a 2021 turbo charged sports car. The 1DX seemed so slow - even moving my focus point and I became increasingly frustrated that I couldn’t move the focus point anywhere I wanted.

While I love the feel of my 1DX Mii and it’s definitely durable, I suspect I’ll continue feeling like I’m shooting with ancient technology (I guess it is ancient in technology years). I’ve been looking forward to having a second body with me as I hate changing lenses in the field, especially with the 600mm and a RF adapter.

that’s the end of my rant - wondering if anyone else has experienced this? Do I save up and buy another R5 or R6? (Ive thought about the R3, but I’d rather buy new glass than spend that on another body. I know, definitely first world problems.

I decided to let my 5D4 and 100-400 Mk2 go while there is still some value in them, I have come to the conclusion that once you go mirrorless there is no going back It's a bit like trying to run two different brands side by side as I once did ..you get confused how each camera works!
Now it's a question of a back up camera or even one to use both my two RF lenses side by side.
I can't see the value in buying the R3 at the moment, don't want to buy two of the same model camera but having an R5 on one lens and an R6 on the other doesn't seem right either.
I'll sit and wait until my next big trip ( hoping there will be one!) and see what Canon come out with next but there again there will probably always be one body better than the other.

Patiently waiting for the R7 (APS-C sensor with at least 35mp sensor) to pair with my R5

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back