Shutter Release / Intervalometer for R5

Dwardski

Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Eddie
I'm a bit disappointed to find that my trusty wired Canon Shutter Release, which i used for many years on my 5D Mk III, won't work on my R5. So, I decided to look for a replacement and came across not only simple shutter releases, but wireless ones, and ones with intervalometers. I'd thought about an intervalometer several years ago but decided against it, but now that I have to buy a replacement release I might consider one with an intervalometer. However, I've now discovered that the R5 has an intervalometer built in, so I'm wondering if a Shutter Release which also includes one is worth the extra money. Would there be any advantage in using an external device in preference to the internal settings (apart from the ability to trigger the shutter remotely)? Are there any options in an external intervalometer which aren't built into the R5?

For information, the device that I've been looking at is here:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0C5CSR...8M7VNVL8&psc=1&ref_=list_c_wl_lv_ov_lig_dp_it

When I saw your title, I thought..."The R5 has one built in, why not use that?"

The only advantage I can think of for using a remote release is if 10-seconds isn't a long enough duration, such as for selfies that need serious posing or distance.

In the case of the photo below, it took three shots to "get it right", from:
~pressing the shutter
~scurry around the table
~sitting in place
~putting on sunglasses
~posing

I could definitely used more time.

Profile.jpg

The only advantage I can think of for using a remote release is if 10-seconds isn't a long enough duration, such as for selfies that need serious posing or distance.

~pressing the shutter
~scurry around the table
~sitting in place
~putting on sunglasses
~posing

View attachment 19184
Well, it looks as though all that effort was worth it - nice shot!

~pressing the shutter
~scurry around the table
~sitting in place
~putting on sunglasses
~posing

View attachment 19184
I think you did not have time to fill the glass!

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back