Chris Summers

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Chris Summers
We've had workers in and out of our house finishing up our kitchen remodel so my time to get out and play with my new lens has been limited. But yesterday I went down to the river near my house to look for wildlife to capture. Wouldn't you know it but there was hardly anything is sight! Finally spotted a mallard off in the distance feeding near some weeds.

Not the best subject material but I'm trying to see the limits of the lens as far as sharpness, accuracy of focus and image stabilization. I was shooting handheld with my Canon R and it was about an hour or so before sunset.

So here are 3 samples of the same shot, all 3 had some minor LR adjustments, basically #2 and #3 are virtual copies of #1 but just cropped closer. Handheld at 1/640th, f/11 and ISO at 1600.

First one is the full frame view,
Second is a more appropriate crop
Third is a tight crop to check sharpness on the eye and beak.

Overall I am impressed, the optics are quite good and the IS really helps keep the camera still. It's a quirky lens admittedly and will obviously not perform as well in low light but every lens made has some pros and cons.

Attachments

• 2022-053-036 Canon RF 800mm lens test.jpg
    2022-053-036 Canon RF 800mm lens test.jpg
    672.3 KB · Views: 93
  • 2022-053-036 Canon RF 800mm lens test-2.jpg
    2022-053-036 Canon RF 800mm lens test-2.jpg
    864.8 KB · Views: 83
  • 2022-053-036 Canon RF 800mm lens test-3.jpg
    2022-053-036 Canon RF 800mm lens test-3.jpg
    882.1 KB · Views: 88
Quack quack. DeNoise AI should clean that noise right up.

We've had workers in and out of our house finishing up our kitchen remodel so my time to get out and play with my new lens has been limited. But yesterday I went down to the river near my house to look for wildlife to capture. Wouldn't you know it but there was hardly anything is sight! Finally spotted a mallard off in the distance feeding near some weeds.

Not the best subject material but I'm trying to see the limits of the lens as far as sharpness, accuracy of focus and image stabilization. I was shooting handheld with my Canon R and it was about an hour or so before sunset.

So here are 3 samples of the same shot, all 3 had some minor LR adjustments, basically #2 and #3 are virtual copies of #1 but just cropped closer. Handheld at 1/640th, f/11 and ISO at 1600.

First one is the full frame view,
Second is a more appropriate crop
Third is a tight crop to check sharpness on the eye and beak.

Overall I am impressed, the optics are quite good and the IS really helps keep the camera still. It's a quirky lens admittedly and will obviously not perform as well in low light but every lens made has some pros and cons.
I have the RF 800 lens too and love it, there's even a Facebook Group dedicated to that lens, I've seen some awesome shots taken with it on there. This moon shot was taken with my RF 800 lens.

Attachments

• Superb .jpg
    Superb .jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 61
I have the RF800f11. My only issue is the minimum focus distance is pretty far from the shooter. For me this a problem which relegates the lens to niche use. I did not realize how important this MFD was in my general shooting until I got the lens. Beyond the MFD it is an excellent sharp lens with good image IQ.

It's a great lens for the money, though it needs good light to perform best I have no problem jacking up the ISO anymore because I now use DxO PureRaw DeepPrime anti-noise software! You can download a trial period and see for yourself!

View Latest Canon RF Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back